For Risc

risc

You could keep them all with others no problem. However I wouldn't keep wobbegongs with anything other than another wobbegongs of the same size. Otherwise it will eat the other one for sure. The cat sharks and carpet sharks have small mouths and are not really known cannibals.
You could keep about 3 of Ward's wobbegongs in a 125. I wouldn't personally put more than 2 in one however. If you could find a male and female you might have a interesting situation. ;) You will also find wobbegongs to eat other tankmates if they are small enough to be eaten that is.
Jim

mark-24

Wow! I evny you so much! Couple of ?'s, Do you ever have the urge to just jump into one of those 12,320 gal tanks? I would. Also do you have any pictures of your tanks/pools? I bet I'm not the only one dying to see them. What's the most expensive shark you've bought?
-Mark
[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: Mark-24 ]

risc

Mark:
I have swam in the pools often actually. The pool with my wobbegongs and bat rays however I try to stay out of. They do not respond well to having me in their living area. However the pool with the lemons, leopards, and the nurse shark... they never seem to mind me a bit. In fact I can turn my nurse shark over in the water and touch her stomach area and she never even fidgets or struggles. They are very much non-aggressive towards me and others as well. It could be because of the habbitat they live in and are used to. I imagine that if they were in the wild and I was in a small space like that with them they would make quick lunch out of me. However they are used to me and me feeding them and watching them. Sharks are smart animals and can learn quickly. Usually when I am around and it isn't there usual feeding time they stay away from me. When it is close to feeding time they circle the pool right in front of me until they get fed. They learn from each other and it is very cool to watch how they adapt.
My most expensive shark was my Zebra shark. I have a personal diver and he gets me sharks at a pretty low cost. Sometimes I buy sharks online too because I am looking for something RIGHT NOW... but mostly I get everything from my diver. My Zebra was very expensive because it was caught at such a deep depth. Another shark I paid a lot of money for was my Thresher shark. I paid over $2000 for it. I sold it to a *un-named famous basketball player* that has a huge aquarium. I miss that shark. Someday I may get another.
Jim

mark-24

You said that you that zebra gets special care? What type of care do you need to take? I vollenteer at my local public aquarium and we have a 93K gallon South Pacific tank with a zebra and the water there is kept a 77-78. I still cannot get over how awsome your tanks are.
-Mark

risc

Mark:
Off all my fish I would say the Zebra takes the most care. However unlike the other ones including just my fish I never have trouble with it eating or harassing other fish. It is a very friendly fish overall. The main thing about them is temperature and salinity. If either of those fluctuate even a small amount, they could die very quickly. Zebras also much like the smoothound sharks can contract bacterial infections from raiding reefs at night while it is looking for food and scraping rock pieces. I have to be very careful about what I put in the tanks with them so none of them can injure themselves. Even now and then I have high levels of nitrate in my tanks which has never had an adverse effect on any of my fish except my angels. The Zebra can usually tough out those situations too, but I make sure it has a 100% optimal living condition.
If that shark in your aquarium where you volunteer gets too big, you know who to call
:D
Jim

king triton

Risc,
I think you posted the website address to view your awesome collection butI can't find it now. Can you please post it again? I would love to see it.

king triton

Two thumbs way way up!
GREAT looking sharks.
Are you going to post pictures of what the tanks look like?
You seem to have attracted quite the crowd here.
Thanks in advance.

mark-24

Jim, thanks for offering that, but the place I volunteer at is pretty big, its called the Aquarium ar Moody Gardens in Galveston, TX and is 1.5 million gallons total. It's 1 of 3 prymids that make up Moody Gardens, there the Aquarium, the Rainforest, and the Discovery Museum. Check out their site http://www.MoodyGardens.com
-Mark

risc

Mark:
That place looks really sweet! If I ever head down there I will most definately check it out.
Lisa:
My Triggers are not in with my sharks.
Jim

K

krustytheclownfish

Wow! You must have some house. I noticed you live in Woodbury. I live in Maple Grove. If you don't mind having visitors, I would LOVE to see your tanks. It must be quite a site, especially here in MN.

jacrmill

185,000? are you kidding? thats the greatest thing ive ever heard. i hope when i graduate college i got $ to blow on cool tanks and fish.

risc

Krusty: I can let you know, I am in and out all times of the day because I am on call. But sometimes I have entire days off.
jacrmill: Not kidding, it will be a 45x45x12 foot underground tank. I have 12 acres so no questions about how the hell that's going to fit in my backyard :)
The tank is going to be built exactly as a swimming pool would be built in the case of me selling the house. It is pretty hard to sell a house with a 185,000 gallon shark tank... but not all that hard to sell if it can double as a swimming pool.
Jim

K

krustytheclownfish

When you have some time let me know. You can e-mail at jrausch45@hotmail.com. Thanks.

risc

Jim27:
Between two to three feet. No larger than that. You can keep them both in 300 gallon tanks their whole lives very easily.
Jim

jg24

risc
I am reading all these post in amazement. I to live in woodbury and would love to see this someday. If your a golfer maybe I could hook you up with some golf. I am a supt. at a local course.