For Risc

topfish

How big do ward wobbegongs,coral catsharks, and epaulettes sharks get? Also, I was wondering if I get a 300 can I get a leopard shark? :D

risc

sweels: Wards get to be about 30 inches, but you will find that they are exceptionally hard to find in the trade. Japanese are also very difficult to find, but they come available a lot more often. Japanese wobbes will be about 36 inches. Coral cats about 28 inches, and epaulettes about 40 inches. You can keep a Leopard in a 300 for one year... after that you will need something in the area of 1,000 gallons or more. When they are adults they will need 5,000 to 8,000 gallon tanks.
Jim

howlnsound

Risc,
the epaulette i have is listed in "MARINE FISHES"by scott michael as aHemiscyllium Ocellatum if that helps. i also asked one of the distributers at the lfs i work at if they ever get the wobbegongs we discussed and they said now is usually when they start showing up. thanks for the info on them i will have to do some deciding on what i want to do. i have a 125 gal that i will have to put something in maybe the wobbe. just 1 of course. but what could go with him? any info is greatly appreciated thanks.

topfish

Just one more question risc. How do you think this tank would do? 300 gallon tank (sand on the bottom, how much inches do you think the sand should be?) 10 in. japanese wobbegong,and a 11 in. epaulette. :p

risc

HOWLNSOUND:
There are MANY Epaulettes, that is what I am referring to. Freycinet's, Hallstrom's, Hooded, Speckled, Indian, etc. The Ocellatum that you mentioned is referred to as just your basic Epaulette shark. However if this isn't the acutal breed (because I know some fish stores misrepresent the actual species) it won't mate. You can stick any fish in with the shark you want, but just be wary of the fact that Wobbegongs are ambush preditors and will take advantage of any near-by sleeping fish or just a fish passing by. Adult volitan lions might be a very good edition, because chances are wobbegongs won't be able to injest a fish that size. Do not put any triggers in the tank.
sweels: about an inch and a half of sand is fine. And those two would be good together... however just be wary when your wobbegong gets older... he might try to eat your epaulette.
Jim

topfish

OK, just one more, how big do you think the wobbegong will try to attack/eat the epaulette? Also, can I keep any inverts in my tank with the sharks( I know no shrimp but what about anemones and corals?)? :confused:

risc

sweels:
heheheh... unfortunately this could happen at any time. It is just more frequently seen when they are adults. I have seen pictures of them eating port jackson sharks thats are 2 to 3 times larger than they are. And I have a spotted wobbegong that when he was 10 inches ate a 15" Lunare wrasse like it wasn't even there. I have seem them eat juvenile nurse sharks and 35 inch trevallys in my tanks like they didn't even exist. It's just a risk you have to take.
Jim

howlnsound

Thanks Risc, mine has spots all over the body with 2 patches over the "shoulders" its beigish tan, with a whitish belly, if that helps (speckled??? a guess)
I wouldn't put a trigger with them, they'd kill the sharks. there just isnt a lot of info around here on wobbegongs, and other than cat and nurse sharks. so i want to research as much as possible before i get into getting something else and the wobbegongs are very appealing to me so i want to know as much as possible about them first. thanks
kevin

risc

HOWLNSOUND:
If your epaulette has the characteristic two large spots and lots of moderately sized spots its a Epaulette... if it has those big spots and tons of tiny dots all over it somewhat brownish in color it is a speckled.
Jim

howlnsound

Risc,
that's the one. it's great. but i would really like to get into the wobbegongs. so any info you could give is appreciated. i keep great filtration, protein skimming, and uv sterilization. but i need to know speial needs, possible tank mates, things to be cautious of, tank size needed, etc. i want as much informed info as i can get before i decide if i will get one or not.
thanks for all your help.
kevin

jim27

risc I have two more questions for ya, what kind(size and brand) of filter, protien skimmer, and lights would bamboo sharks or wobbegongs need(they will be in a 150g tank)? And do you think a blue spotted stingray and a wobbegong/bamboo shark could live together in 150g? :confused: :confused:
[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: JIM27 ]

risc

Whew.... well here goes on the topic of Wobbegongs.
Anyway... there are several species of wobbegongs and generally speaking they are all wonderful display animals, except some just get very large for standard home systems. All species are from reefs and they are only found in Australia, South Pacific, and South Japan. They are all ambush preditors which means they just sit and wait for their food to come to them. It is common for wobbegong owners to feed them with some sort of pole arm. It is very difficult to select tank mates for wobbegongs because, in general fish aren't very inteligent, and they will wander right up to the wobbegongs fringed sea-weed like appendages and be gobbled right up. At night wobbegongs will stalk prey like octopus, squid, other sharks, fish, and crabs. Wobbegongs don't need a reason to eat tankmates they just will. Wobbegongs will attack humans unprovoked. They don't feed very frequently, and when they do they don't always feed till they are full. Chances are your newly aquired wobbegong will not eat when you introduce him into the tank. You may need to feed him feeder goldfish or silversides for a long time.. until he will willing except shrimp or squid. For a long time my wobbegongs would bite squid and then just spit it out after about 30 seconds so I had to feed them feeders. Wobbegongs unlike other sharks are not sensitive to copper based medications. They also live in a very low salinty range about 1.018 to 1.024.
I will talk about Japanese and Wards wobbegongs since I doubt any of you will be springing for something larger. They both are less than 42" at full growth and since they are so lethargic and hardly move they do not require large tanks. However they do require massive amounts of water movement. When I say massive I mean in the area of one 1,000 to 1,500gph pump per 200 gallons. The Japanese wobbe will eat shrimp, groupers, tilefish, parrotfish, scorpionfish, skates, sea robins, shark egg cases, and many other fish and crusteceans. They need water temperature about 60 to 78 degrees... anymore than that could be fatal. So a chiller is almost required.
Wards wobbe are less aggressive fish. They most likely will not bite you unless you are holding their food. It will need all of the above listed care requirerments except they can live in 72 to 82 degree water. This type of wobbegong is MUCH more difficult to find, but more suited to aquarium life especially when you have other tankmates.
You will need a minimum 150 gallon tank for both fish... if you are going to have lots of live rock and other tank decor I would suggest a 250 or 260. UV sterlization isn't a priority but will indeed be a nice addition. Excess protien skimming and wet/dry filtration is essential for small aquariums housing sharks. In large tanks like 6,000 gallon and over protien skimming isn't required. Something more in the lines of massive fluidized bed filters are important in those cases. So you can never have enough skimming essentially.
Tankmates - there isn't much I can say about. It at your risk only. I don't keep anything in my tanks with my wobbegongs except VERY large sharks... ones they can't possibly eat. Nurse sharks and black tips things like that. If you insist on having tank mates... lionfish, golden trevallys, banded coral shrimp, very large rays, hawkfish, very large moray eels, cardnalfish, and groupers is about all I can suggest. Damsels will be dead meat even though they are sometimes recommended. I have seen my wobbegongs eat 20-25 blue devil damsels in less than 3 hours. Don't waste your money. Brittle stars, slipper lobsters, and pencil urchins might work as well. I would not recommend a remora. They are a very harassing fish and will undoubtedly steal all the food you place in the tank. This will cause the remora to get very large and destructive, and take it from me, ALL fish stores hate remoras. So good luck getting rid of it. I do keep lots of cleaner wrasse in my tanks to clean parasites from my sharks, but they are also potential dinners for wobbegongs so just be careful of that.
Jim

risc

JIM27:
On a 150 gallon tank I would use a Magnum 350 canister or a Emperor 400. Either or will work fine. A berlin turbo skimmer or a very good venturi skimmer. A Amircle wet/dry trickle filter is also required. You may also just for the sake of doing so get a fluidized Bed filter from Rainbow lifeguard. Then you basically have ALL your bases covered and some. Use about 1 inch of live sand with maybe about 20 pounds of liverock just littered all over the bottom. Do not stack it. A blue spotted stingray and wobbegong or cat shark will be just fine together. However blue spotted stingrays need a lot of care and are very sensitive to tank fluctuations. I do not recommend them for any saltwater beginner or shark and ray beginner unless you are prepared to take a loss in the case they don't live.
Jim

topfish

Thanks also for the help risc. I guess i'm going to pass the wobbegong. :( I don't want to risk a shark dieing.

jim27

risc:
I know I seem kind of pesty, but if I do this(get a shark) I want to do it right. Could I put two bamboo sharks in a 150g? If not what's the minimum size tank for two of them? And what other fish could I keep with a bamboo thats in a 150g?

risc

JIM27:
If you don't have a lot to spend and you want to get two bamboo sharks and have them their whole life I would get what is called a 180 gallon long tank. Once they reach full growth they will be cramped when they have to turn around in the tank... but it will work. I honestly would get something more in the lines of a 240 or 300. You can get yourself a really nice 300 gallon acrylic tank with built in filtration for around $2000. You would however have to buy a stand as well.
You could keep just about any fish in the tank with your bamboo sharks besides Angels and Triggers. I wouldn't keep anything in the tank with it except lionfish or groupers and maybe some other miscellaneous fish when it is at a young age however.
Jim