Forgot to rinse sand!!

cmonti

Starting a new tank and totally forgot to rinse the sand. Don't know what I was thinking. Starting a 30 breeder and used about 30 lbs of fine reef sand and a bag of live to seed. Water has been super cloudy for 24 hrs. been replacing floss in HOB filter every few hours as it fills with sediment. Should I just drain and start over?? dont want to loose the bacteria that was in live sand. thoughts??

cmonti

ill wait it out. Just anxious to see what the aqua scape looks like hidden in the cloudiness. ha

cmonti

well im starting to hate this fine sand. Love the look but it doesnt stay put very well. Tank cleared up pretty good over night so I decided to make a few small moves to my rock which I did very carefully. sand kicked up a lot of dust again. Is this because the sand wasnt rinsed and still contains dust particles or is the sand so fine that it will always cloud the tank if disturbed??

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonti http:///forum/thread/385814/forgot-to-rinse-sand#post_3385764
well im starting to hate this fine sand. Love the look but it doesnt stay put very well. Tank cleared up pretty good over night so I decided to make a few small moves to my rock which I did very carefully. sand kicked up a lot of dust again. Is this because the sand wasnt rinsed and still contains dust particles or is the sand so fine that it will always cloud the tank if disturbed??
Sand always clouds the tank, the rock must be under the sand aquascaping after the sand is in means pushing the sand to one side.

cmonti

is my flow too strong?? This will be an SPS tank so high flow is a must. I have a Koralia pushing 1050GPH. Is that too much?? 30 Breeder is pretty shallow, only 12 in. high. can this be contributing to my cloudy issue? Pump is off for the time being until it clears. Once the tank finally does clear and the pump goes back on... will be stir the sand too much?

meowzer

You could.....JUST remember....with fine sand you are gonna have to position the PH's very carefully. I had put fine sand in my 29G...GRRRRR...hated it....I added some aragonite with it....made it a little better
IF I could do it all over.....I would not use fine sand

cmonti

ya I have aragonite in my other tank. Liked the look of fine better and wanted to give it try. trial and error

spanko

If the tank is new just let it be. Eventually the sand will form a bio film that will be sticky and it will settle down. I would leave the korallia off but keep running the filter and changing the floss. Th korallia may be too much flow from one pump for the tank, you would be better off with two pumps of lesser flow IMO but check it out once the sand settles down.