found a good lfs in monmouth, nj

cowfishrule

yo
the store in union center has made a huge turnaround.
i was in there yesterday, and happily made a purchase- a beautiful 2-3" flame angel-
there was not one dead fish, nor signs of any illness whatsoever-
the owner was really cool, especially once he realized that i knew what i was doing and could not be bamboozled.
his prices were pretty decent- a little high on the coral side. it looks like he's really trying to become a staple because i was able to negotiate the price on the flame angel a little bit.
i would definatly shop there again.

irondog

Yeah i went in there this week,owners name vic,real nice guy has alot of fish i thought he has kinda high on his tonga rock 10.99 but its so close to me i can walk there

sleasia

can you guys tell me how to get to the union center store either from north jersey or from south jersey. Or if you have the name and phone number I'll just call them. I would like to check it out sometime. thanks

cowfishrule

parkway to exit 140, follow signs for rt 82 west (morris ave)
make a right onto styvestaunt, its on the left hand side

R

rick2203

i went to Absolutely Fish in Clifton, Nj today, that place is amazing, prices are crazy high but they also have some deals on coral, just have to look around,they have tons of stuff ,check it out when you have a chance, they have a website also

thangbom

Originally Posted by BLAZEHOK68
well on my travels yesterday i found a place in monmouth right near the mall. i think its on rt 36. anyway its called tropicquarium. tons of coral frags! when you first walk in the shop there is 2 huge tanks probably 8'x4'x2' each. and there is an archway between them. one a huge reef and another a fowlr. walk between them and there are 2 huge frag tanks probably 5'x5'. tons of quality fish for sale and lots of lr in stock. there prices are a bit high, but i believe it is worth it b/c everything looks healthy. seems like these guys know what they are doing. also, they have tanks and stands and all kinds of other stuff too. anybody in the area should definately give this place a visit.

maybe late and a lot was said about this place but i just want/need to add about this place.. this place is way way too high priced.. and that big 1800 gall reef ( think thats what he told me ) is not well kept.. first time i seen it, it was awsome. 2nd time i seen it .. 1/2 the things died.. i was like
:scared: ... soo he is a no go..

sharkbait9

trop is all about the money. If they can sell you a bunch of stuff to get you going and then have you come back to get this, that and the other thing, they will. Trop is the place i walk around in when my fiancé is next door doing stuff and i don't want to hold her purse. I just like to go in and have a good laugh when i hear them telling people to buy all this crap for no reason other then to make a lot of bucks with no care to the over all well being of the inhabitants. I like the original owner, he knew his stuff and helped out newbie’s get it right, but in the same sense he also told people to cycle tanks with damsels :notsure: . old school owner= old school thinking

dfm34

Just did a quick Google search not sure if I can post the link but search Oceanarim nj it should be the third link listed in Englishtown. I live about 10 min away and will try to go tonight to check it out. I am new to this and would love to find a good LFS. I am very skeptical of them after reading this board.
Oceanarium
172 US Highway 9
Englishtown, NJ 07726-8266
Phone: (732) 536-6626
Fax: (732) 536-6690
Oceanarium@aol.com

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by dfm34
Just did a quick Google search not sure if I can post the link but search Oceanarim nj it should be the third link listed in Englishtown. I live about 10 min away and will try to go tonight to check it out. I am new to this and would love to find a good LFS. I am very skeptical of them after reading this board.
Oceanarium
172 US Highway 9
Englishtown, NJ 07726-8266
Phone: (732) 536-6626
Fax: (732) 536-6690
Oceanarium@aol.com

Its a good place price on some stuff is a little up there but nice people. Vlad and his brother treats me good

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by irondog
Hey Sharkbait,have you ever made it up to underwater world in roselle park
No not yet, i really want to i keep seeing peps say how great it is and the tanks look great.

irondog

Yeah his tanks are very clean,fish an corals are great but prices are high,if your in the area,its 137 off parkway north,when yu get to light make left,thats (rt 28) westfield ave,go about 4 or 5 lights its on the left right across from a ford dealer really small.I'v been down your way a few weeks back an stop in oceanrium,talked to the brother for 20 mins very helpfull nice place very big fish it was cool

dfm34

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
Its a good place price on some stuff is a little up there but nice people. Vlad and his brother treats me good

Just came back they were very nice but agree on the price issue. I don’t understand why would I buy a piece of coral at a lfs for $90 when I can get it on line of $30??? Even if shipping is $30 I am still ahead? Am I missing something???
Sorry if I am hijacking the thread!!!!
:thinking:

sleasia

I just went back to reef fantasy in staten island again today...still have wonderful fish, but they are raising their prices! They used to be so reasonable...tomarrow I'm going to check out In Living Color. Its probably only 1 hour from me. Not that I have anything I need to buy, just curious...Maybe I'll get a couple more hunks of live rock or some inverts or something.