Fragging Leather Tree

meowzer

This weekend I am going to do a major cut of my leather tree....I am thinking of cutting it right down the middle (pics are attached)....You will see in the pics that the basse is really really fat....SO...CAN I just cut it, and then cut pieces off?
I am planning on making a nice piece for my new tank too
Suggestions are really appreciated

al&burke

Hey meowzer - I did a lot of reading on fragging a leather toadstool - they basically cut it up and put the pieces in a basket with live rock rubble in it - after a week or so the pieces attached to the rubble then they glued the leather attached to the rubble to ceramic disks. Another method was cutting it and gluing it on to pieces of rubble. i guess they really slim up when they are cut up so it is suggested to run a lot of carbon. I am going to try mine once i do my reef upgrade. good luck.

meowzer

Thanks....I had cut a piece off a few weeks ago, but it was just a little "branch" LOL.....this time I want to do a major cut....see how it is so broad in the base....I want to cutr it straight down the middle.....and then cut pieces from that..
I also need to move it back in the 225G to get it away from the bubble....the bubble is GROWING :)

saltfan

Yea pretty much just as you want to do it Meowzer. They pretty easy to frag up. Use a different container than the tank they are in, as they will through toxins all over the place. About an hour later you can take them out of the bucket and put them in the tank. Carbon would be a wise idea.

meowzer

Well I was going to take the whole thing out and cut it in a bucket...the one large half is going back in to the 225G....the smaller pieces will go in other tanks so I can reach them...LOL
So you are saying wait an hour before I put any of them back in the tanks???

al&burke

Another thing I saw on one video is the guy left the original base attached to the rock it was on, essecially he cut a donut out of the top. I know yours is a tree but you could do the same to the base of yours.

meowzer

LOL...OK That is kinda what I meant......I am going to cut it at an angle, BUT thru that thick part...and only one side...

meowzer

ANYONE ELSE?? Please see post 5 and tell me if that sounds good....I am gonna do this tonight.....(I hope)

S

smartorl

The first time I saw a leather fragged, I was flabbergasted. He took a huge pair of shears and to me looked like he demolished it.
The entire monster leather was cut into small pieces and meshed. All of them thrived and the stump even regenerated.
I don't think there is any way to do it wrong.
I think the hardest part is making sure the frags are secured so that they don't blow under rocks and die.
It's a really amazing process.

meowzer

YEAH...with my last piece someone said to take a toothpick...stick it in one end of the leather.....and glue the other end to whatever (rock, plug, clam shell) I did that and I actually epoxied the other end in a clam shell.....it actually worked great.....I have plenty of empty cleaner clam shells I have been saving.....I even placed mushrooms in them and got them to attach..LOL..

S

smartorl

I use clam shells to corral my anemones into an area where I want them. It seems to work well!

meowzer

THE DEED IS DONE...WITH PICS
1st is the Mama leather in the 225G

1st CUT

mother leather after 1st cut..>HMMMMM still a little big SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SOOOOO Here is the 2nd cut

Mother after both cuts...still a good size

Mother back in the 225G...slightly mad LOL

Here are the 5 frags, I could have cut a lot more, but decided to cut big this time......the frag on the very left is the one that I will grow out for my new tank

al&burke

I will be following - I am going to do my toadstool soon - it has to be about 10" in diameter, hey by the way did you look at the cave thing I built on the overflow I need a woman's opinion