Fragging Xenia

mr. tuna

How do you frag xenia?
My zenia has been growing alot, and i want to know to frag correctly.
Also,
How would i be able to frag a branching hammer or Branching frogspawn which is glued onto a rock. ( the rocks are under others, so i would not be able to take out of tank.)
Thanks,
Adam__

sammyg

Scubasteve recently posted a thread on fragging xenia, and I know he's an expert because he gave me two of them and they look fantastic. Big shout-out to Jeff! I'll be posting some pics of them soon.

bang guy

People that bump posts after just an hour crack me up. :D
Just take some reef rubble and set it all aroung and in the Xenia colony. The Xenia will attach to it and then you can cut the frags off the colony already attached.

bang guy

It varies depending on the health of the Xenia. I've had them attach in a day, could take up to a week.
I've even had them attach to a snail that was crawling by.

sjdyer

I cut my xenia and then put a tooth pick through the base and rubber band it to a peice of rubble and in a day or two it will be attached. Then I remove the rubber band and tooth pick. The hole in the frag will seal after a day and the frag is done.

wocka

nice xenia.. i wish i could get some. my LFS sells them for 12$ a stalk so its sorta a rip, then today i went to a different LFS with a limited amount of money to get a maroon clown and i see this humongo rock full of xenia. looked like a softball for $30. i wonder y they would sell them differently

saltyj

I agree with the reef rubble theory, Just put it real close and it will move to it eventually and sometimes wven splits on its own.