Fragging Zoa's ???

krautburner

I've got several colonies of Zoa's that have been doing well in my tank for well over a year.
I'd like to share some of them with a friend who just got into reefing.
what's the best way to frag these colonies?

bang guy

Can you remove the rock they are on from the tank?
In my day I used to use a chisel to scrape away a small piece of rock from under the Zoas, use a razor to seperate them from the colony, and then superglue the frag to another small rock. It works best if done outside of the tank. Treat them as toxic ALWAYS. Wear gloves, any water that drips off them after being cut is toxic, and paper towels used to wipe up are toxic, etc. After they slime up you can rinse the frag off in some old tank water. Again, treat the rinse water as toxic.

1guydude

i usually take the rock or plug and take a hobby knife to the piece or pieces i want! Its easier to cut under or near the edge of the mat...than peel it up! As bang said they are releasing toxins and arent happy so wash ur hands well afterwards!

nano-newb1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/387569/fragging-zoa-s#post_3411238
i usually take the rock or plug and take a hobby knife to the piece or pieces i want! Its easier to cut under or near the edge of the mat...than peel it up! As bang said they are releasing toxins and arent happy so wash ur hands well afterwards!
same way i do it.
Wear, gloves and goggles too.. I dont tho lol, but i dont get my face close to frag if they decide to spit at me.. and wash hands REALLY REALLY good b4 u eat or anything

krautburner

thanks guys,
I just moved some of them around,
one of the ones I really wanna share had been spreading to the sand bottom, and a good "silver dollar" sized colony prettymuch fell off.
I'm looking forward to getting some color into my buddy's tank