Fragmenting Mushromms . . .

herp_house

lol, i just got done fraging some shrooms right befor i looked at this and while i was doing it i looked at one of my snails and saw he had a polup on his shell and this sparked an idea. he ended up getting a reag on him also one of my crabs got one on his shell. i hope everything goes well with them, i just tuned 4 schrooms into 10 or so. I cant stang going to the petshop and paying $40 for a little rock with 4-5 of them on it. im hoping all goes well. and good pics and info.

little

No the glue is not toxic for the tank but I would use as little as you can. Well I will not use glue agene because it did not hold them down for me it was the canvas that did it. So yes you can just use a rubber band to split it or cut it up and band it down with a canvas. My new frags are doing great I cut up another one the day after I did the first one. I can see that they are attaching to the rocks but I am still going to wait a week to take off the canvas. I will post pics of them when I do. Add to that I now have 6 new shrooms for free . . .
:joy:
Thanks
Little

sula

I heard using a rubber band placed over the mouth of the shroom will cause it to divide.
has anyone tried this method?

little

I have heard to that using a rubber band placed over the mushroom will work to. Although, I have not done it my self.
Quick Count Plastic Canvas: this will go over the mushrooms to hold them in place in case the glue fails. I got this at Wal Fart for $.36 . . .
So far the canvas is the only thing holding them down the glue did not work. I think this is because mushrooms are slimy. Mine were.
Thank you all for the comments and complements.
Little

rbaby

Hey little, that's great. I always like seeing people who frag and post the step-by-step details...because I certainly can't do it myself.
If you have a shroom for sale, I would gladly buy one, they look very pretty...what color are they? If you are offering them for free I'd gladly pay for shipping + handling. Please let me know, I only have shrooms in my tank, so that's the only thing making my li'l bugger pretty :).

little

Thanks for taking the time to look over my post. But I have to say I am not selling my frags but hope to trade them in the future. I will be posting pic asap but right now I am still trying to get the little buggers to attach to the rocks. Some have held and others have not. Yes the canvas can squish the mushrooms but it will not hurt them. If you want to split one you can put a rubber band over it. So if the canvas is pulled so tight and chops it like a potatoe masher more shrooms for you.
:D
Thanks again
Little

R

rockcod5

I just fragmented one of my largest shrooms into four pieces, it has worked well. I used a razor blade and cut it like a pie. All four pieces are doing well. The way that I got them to stick to a rock was sticking them in the creveces of the rocks. They stuck with no problem.

R

rockcod5

I also fragmented my 12" colt coral into smaller pieces. This is even easier than shrooms. Just split the coral by hand like tearing it apart, but gently. Then you find a piece of rock in which attach a rubber band around it. You take the coral and slide a tooth pick through the base of the coral. You then wrap the rubber band around the tooth pick and the coral will eventually attach itself to the rock. I have done this three times and works really well and have these corals growing all around my tank.

manjisann

This is a great post, thanks for taking the time to make it so informative. I have what may be a very stupid question, but when fragging mushrooms do you have to have some of the base with each piece? also, can you do this with fuzzy mushrooms?

little

Hello all,
I believe that if you have some of the base it will attach to a rock and regenerate faster. You can frag any mushroom . . .
I hope this helps and good luke
Little

jwhiteuwc

Wow, awesome artical. I'm going to try this sometime next week.
1 Question, how long can a mushroom be out of water? I mean If I'm slow at cutting and glueing him, how long do I have?
thanks

johnbaker

hey little, great job! you are a good teacher. one question though. do you have to split the stem and cap down the middle or just the cap?