Freakin' huge aiptasia

snakeblitz33

So,...
Long story short,...
I have been letting this one aiptasia/glass anemone grow really huge on one of my rocks. It's body is a little more than the size of a silver dollar now. LOL.
I'm going to soon start adding corals (hopefully soon*) and I guess I need to "take care of it."
But he's been my little friend for over a year now... it's hard to just nuke the little guy. IS there a "humane" way to kill an aiptasia... one that is quick and hopefully painless?

I know of a few ways but they all sound like horrible ways to die....
-boiling hot water
-acid poured over it
-kalkwasser paste
-joes juice / needle
- dry the rock out
- vinegar injection / needle
-????
I guess "lethal injection**" (aka vinegar/joes juice) would probably be the most humane way - at least some states agree with me.
* I honestly have no idea. I'll be happy to just get my canopy and side cabinet built. LOL Probably sometime next year. :(
** should I rub iodine on it before injecting it with the needle? (rhetorical question - kind of ironic that they sterilize the arm before killing someone, eh?

A

alanjess

You are going to murder an innocent creature? (I'm sorry, I had to. :-D)
Actually, why not look on Craig's List for a 1 or 1.5 gal tank and keep in there on your desk!

snakeblitz33

He's on a large piece of rock - that makes up part of the main structure of the bridge in my tank. Rock is too big for a small tank - and I would rather keep the rock in its place. But, good suggestion - I like that you are thinking outside the box.

bang guy

There is no brain or even ganglia that resemble a brain so I think the concept of feeling pain doesn't apply.
If it were me I would make up a small amount of lime paste with food in it and feed it to the Anemone.
I had one of those that I enjoyed for a few years too. I'll try to find a picture. It was pretty large.

robertmathern

They lady at the LFS I go to all the time had a huge one she raised in a 180 reef tank. I never got out of control and never really stung any of her corals. There were a couple time a coral would drop on it and then yeah of course going to go to war. But this this stood about 8-10" inches tall. Just saying not all apstaisa are going to take over the tank (although it does happen often). So if I were you just keep an eye on it. If more start coming Joes juice em