Freshwater and marine fish swimming together!

blackjacktang

it is horible, they prob did it by letting more dense saltwater sink because it appears all the sw fish r at the bottom

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Blackjacktang
http:///forum/post/3296579
....because it appears all the sw fish r at the bottom
That has to do with the osmotic pressure. Those tanks are kept at extremely low salinity levels, just enough not to kill the saltwater fish, but not to high for the freshwater fish. Saltwater naturally makes things more buoyant, including fish. So the saltwater fish aren't adjust to FW, and sink to the bottom. Just like if you were to FW dip a SW fish.

oceankid

They aren't looking very happy, I saw the dead clowfish too and does the seahorse really swim like that? All the clownfish swimming at the bottom. This is so sad

d-man

so I don't know that much about this, but as far as I know this is "sweet water". It's a water mix with some sort of sugar in it that makes it work. It's pretty new and people are still finding out what fish they can do it with. From what I know it's more about the fish community than the water itself. I don't know about reefs, but people have been keeping fish just fine in this water, the mane problem is keeping fish that would never see each other in the same tank. From what I have read any salt water fish will push most fresh water fish around for the most part, but there are people that have had some success with this.

monsinour

Before I read any of the replies here i watched the video. I could tell right away that there was a problem. No way all those clowns should be on the bottom. Since it was at a "fish show" lets see whats happening in that tank exactly 1 month from now.
BTW, IMHO its crap.

dmanatee

i know this is "neat' but I don't know....I just feel that fresh should be with fresh...salt with salt and the brackish....somewhere in between.
Here is the other kicker....those fancy goldfish are cold water fish and the more they are stressed the more they poop.. And I know that the clown fish is a warm saltwater. The same can be said about the Molly's and guppies that were seen in the corner of the tank that are fresh and need a temp between 72-80 degrees (fresh).
in my opinion, sometimes what is trendy is not good...I would rather be thinking what is best for the fish in this case.
this is just my opinion though

d-man

Not to mention how many fish are in the tank. As fare as I know it's not brackish water. I'm not really interested in it myself, but I have read about people getting it to work and having happy fish. The fish temps would be a big part of what you put into it. What I read made me get the feeling that this is only for extremely advanced hobbyists, but there is more scientific research going into this than most hobbyists know about. I can't seem to find the article I was reading, but I'll keep looking and post it if I can find it.

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-man http:///forum/thread/378836/freshwater-and-marine-fish-swimming-together#post_3327191
so I don't know that much about this, but as far as I know this is "sweet water". It's a water mix with some sort of sugar in it that makes it work.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arofanatics.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D376610
It's literally the movie "Idiocracy" in action, "it's got electrolytes!"
The water is pretty brackish. Just high enough not to kill marine fish, but low enough the freshwater fish can tolerate it (like I said above). Besides salinity there would be several other issues with keeping FW and SW fish. Off the top of my head, flow rate is one. Those dumb ballooned goldfish that are barely capable of locomotion, would be blasted against the rocks, with the flow rates marine fish need. Another would be aggression. The link thread hit on this topic, but most saltwater fish would be far too aggressive longterm with FW fish.

d-man

I know I'm not the only one that feels there is more ethical opinion on this sight than real info. I said I can't find the specific article I was reading not that I can't google it thank you very much. The article had a bit to say about then pros and cons of doing this and did sight some tanks that lasted with both saltwater fish and freshwater fish for extended time.I think it's obvious that it would have lots of problems, but it might work for some one for some reason.