Frogspawn an endangered species?

mikeny

Went to my lfs the other day and saw a note written on one of their coral tanks that said Frogspawns have been moved to the endangered species list and will no longer be available. I asked one of the workers there on two separate occasions and he confirmed it.
I'm still pretty new to the hobby but this has me scratching my head. How is this possible? They seem like such a common coral. Aren't they also easily fragged? How would this be a problem?
I should mention they also charged a small fortune for whatever stock they had left of them.
-MikeNY

xcali1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/393933/frogspawn-an-endangered-species#post_3506645
Sounds like a case of mistaken identity. This has happened a few times in the past.
Don't think its so much a case of mistaken identity as the wholesalers not selling them at all anymore. I was at Sea Dwelling Creatures in LA this past week as I am opening a store in April they don't want to ride the file line between them. Some will keep selling the non endangered, a lot of the big guys won't deal with the overhead of making sure every specimen is one or the other.
If the Wildlife officials came in and saw them for sale you can be fined. Again not a line the stores around me nor will I be willing to tread.