Frogspawn/Hammer

baddlord77

I really need some help to determine what to do....I made a post a week ago......same topic...I purchased a Frogspawn about a month ago.....i have several pieces (trunks if u will) that have died off completely.....One trunk looking very sick/week. And still.....one of the major trunks has excessive growth as u can see in my pictures...and looks very healthy indeed. It has continued to flourish big-time...yet the others were obvious they were gonna die....What gives....My small hammer....which had 3 trunks...has only one left...however....when i got it...it had three trunks and looked ok.....but now that two of the trunks have died completely, the other trunk has now split in three and is doin fantastic and has never looked better.....The question......should i remove the skeleton(s) from the frogspawn, hole trunks and all.....or should i just leave the others to die and they are obviously gonners...And how should i take on this delicate procedure w/out harming the trunk that is growing and looking awesome ?
here'sa several pictures.....

scubasteve

Personally, i'd remove the sickly portions. If it is diseased, you don't want it spreading to the healthy branch. Aside from that, aesthetically, dead branches aren't all that appealing to most people. If your water quality is good, and haven't observed anything picking at it (which could cause it to recede and become stressed) then my best guess would be that it had some problems before purchase. All you need to do is get some pliars and snap off the branches you want to remove. If you want to try and save the sick portions you can always move them somewhere esle in the tank or to a different tank if you have one. Different flow, and lighting in another part of the tank could help it recover if it isn't in an optimal location now, and assuming that it is diseased, that the disease isn't terminal. Good luck.

baddlord77

Thank you scuba.....I know this is gonna hurt me more than the frog-spawn.....:eek: I feel like i'm about to break an animals leg off while it's alive and lookin' at me...:eek: How far down the stalk should i break it off ? Is the portion of the live stuff only at the top maybe like the top 2 inchs.....or is there body all through the tubes ? And should i do this outside of the tank.......in a bowl or bucket ? And should i rinse it in ro water or salt water from the tank, before relocating it back into the tank ? Never have i done this before so i want to take this task on with minimal damage and stress to everyone..including me.........especially, because a large portion of the frogspawn is VERY HEALTHY and growin good......Thanks again...

scubasteve

Yes, just the top part is living. The branches are just calcium based formations. You will not damage the living portion unless you manage to split the branch with the healthy portion and tear the tissue. I would leave it in the water. The easiest way would just be to turn it upside down, take your pliars (needle nose might be easier to use) and grab the DEAD branch close to where it attaches to the healthy one and snap it off. Just to be on the safe side, you can snap off one of the dead branches higher up, just so you get a feel for how the branches break, and how much pressure you need to apply before snapping it off closer to the healthy branch. Good luck.

T

tizzo

So, you gave me the frogspawn and right before I put it into my tank this is what I see... Flatworms...

T

tizzo

So, I dip it in flatworm exit. This pic is about 2 minutes into treatment...