Frogspawn, torch or hammer coral???

i am going to a local guy to buy some xenia, kenya tree and green star polyps. the guy has some frogspawn, torch coral and hammer coral that are beautiful in the picture i recieved. im going to get one of those three however im not sure which one to get. which is the easiest to care for? which one grows the fastest? which is the hardiest? any suggestions will help.

blackjacktang

I would go with a frog spawn because IMO, they are easier for me. I also love how the flow in the current and there colors.

J

jstdv8

I have frog spawn and it is pretty sweet, never had either of the others

meowzer

I have a frogspawn in the 29G, a frogspawn in the 225G, and a torch in the 54G
I had a hammer.....it got Brown jelly disease and died :(
I would go with the frogspawn to start with.....they are very easy, and need no special treatment......
By the way......What type of lighting do you have?????

yea. i decided to buy some good lights so that i could support anything in there lol.. im semi new to coral and have only had green mushrooms before that i kept in my 10 gallon nano. i decided to get some xenia, kenya tree, star polyps and zoos since they look pretty cool. Is there any other corals you would suggest other than the frogspawn which im gonna get :)?

meowzer

OK...you have to remember that frogspawn, torch and/or hammers will spread and WILL sting their neighbors....so with a smaller tank you have to plan for their space
gsp will also spread all over, as will zoas.....I have a kenya tree farm...LOL....BUT can not grow xenia
but I am sure you have read how they CAN spread like wildfire too
as an example.....in my 29G I have a frogspawn, 4 different types of zoas, pink star polyps, a maxima clam, orange digitata, pipe organ coral, mini anemones (3), green montipora, blue ricordia, orange ricordia, greenish mushrooms, kenya, kenya..AND MORE KENYA LOL

i have planned a location for my frogspawn that will allow it to grow, if i ever need to i will just frag it and then put it in my 10g nano to heal/grow and then trade it in. the reason i am getting the xenia, star polyps and kenya is because im going to frag and want to grow them out for trade ins.

meowzer

I like all of your selections.....and if you have places to sell/trade YAYY......I have nothing local to me for that :(

meowzer

How old is your tank? I would not add one to a newer tank....I have a gold maxima in my 29G and a crocea in my 225G.....love them both
Derasa's are supposed to be the "beginner" clam...IDK ....they can go in the sand too.....

my tank is about 1 and a half months old. i would most likely put a clam in in about a month. i might look at getting a derasa from my lfs. what size would be best? i heard 3 inches or more.