From Start till.....

leopard_babe

Correct hefner,
It is a wet/dry with skimmer. i placed it in the stand the set the tank on top. It is not predrilled. It has a hang on overflow.

johnnyd

Originally Posted by Leopard_babe
http:///forum/post/2797874
Correct hefner,
It is a wet/dry with skimmer. i placed it in the stand the set the tank on top. It is not predrilled. It has a hang on overflow.
im prob getting a 120g and want a sump filtration (megoflow model 3 up to 110g's), so if i by a HOB overflow rated at 800 gph what do i get for a return pump? the same gph? if there not the same wont the fuge overflow ive never had one so im new to setting one up. i checked the fourum but was hard to understand how they set it up.

brandan

Originally Posted by johnnyd
http:///forum/post/2798897
im prob getting a 120g and want a sump filtration (megoflow model 3 up to 110g's), so if i by a HOB overflow rated at 800 gph what do i get for a return pump? the same gph? if there not the same wont the fuge overflow ive never had one so im new to setting one up. i checked the fourum but was hard to understand how they set it up.
www.melevsreef.com has some very good information on Sumps/Refuge setup and designs.

braydonosu

As long as the GPH rating of your pump is less than the rating for the overflow you should be fine. Make sure that there is no air in the overflow U tube as that decreases the effectiveness - My HOB overflow has a small valve so that I can hook up an airpump that keeps the water flowing.
Leopard - the tank sounds like it's coming along nicely. I have never heard of using cocktail shrimp to cycle the tank - I guess thinking about it it does the same thing as putting a damsel in there without the stree on the fish. Your stocking list looks pretty good as well. You'll have to keep updates on the manderin if you end up getting one - I have a 40 and am thinking about getting one.
Maybe it's the Buckeye in me, but are you a state or UM fan?

leopard_babe

I am a HUGE U of M fan!!!!
So went to the lfs and got:
12 snails. There floating right now.
2 green chromis, there "dripping" right now.
Here is a pix of my tank last night with the lights on. I was at my lfs, which is well know for there coral, and think that I want a reef. So I will have to update my lights.
Guess I will have to do some research on those.
Braydonosu: I only have 45-50lbs of LR now, I think I am gonna add some base rock to the middle pieces. I definately plan to get a mandarin in a year or so. I had one before, it ate brine. The cat bumped the heater and fried my fish.
I didnt have a problem with the mandarin until then.
Here are a few pix with the lights on.
Attachment 211161
Attachment 211162
Attachment 211163

leopard_babe

Well I now have 3 green chromis, and they school. They are so cool to watch. I just love their color. I have 12 snails. And today I got my diatom tank. yay tank is now nice and brown. I cannot believe how fast that stuff spreads.
Water parameters are great!! I will post some pics later

hammerhed7

I also have a 46 bow front, it is a great tank. Did you request pieces that large or are they sent out randomly? I was thinking of ordering some rock from here for yet another tank in my house. How do you like the rock?Looks like great quality.

leopard_babe

the pieces came that big.
i will post pix. now there is coraline starting to grow on them. they are a bright green and purple.
it was a great investment!!!
I highly recommend this rock from swf.com

mboswell1982

hey leopard, how much did u pay for that rock? if you dont wanna spit it out on here just message me the price LOL im pricing rock right now for the set up im doin an tryin to find the place with the cheapest package :p

leopard_babe

The only website I could find that tukani (sp bad) rock was at swf.com I waited until it was on sale. It was like 50# for about 200 I think?? Something like that. I went to every website and lfs around to find the cheapest deal.
When it went on sale on this website it was the most amount of rock for the lowest price. $4/pound. The lfs around me sell it for $8-10

I will take a pix in a minute and show you the colors. It was the best rock I have ever had in any of my tanks.