Frozenguy's 10Gal Nano!!

frozenguy

Hi folks-
I'm just getting back into the hobby after a break for about four years. I just started my 10gal nano on the 17th of august.

I mixed my water and salt (Tropic Marine) for about 25 hours in the tank with a heater and my powerhead. Then I added about 16.5 pounds of live rock and 20 pounds of live sand. Within 18 hours I saw a spike in ammonia that maybe hit .5. Shortly after (that night) i saw some activity with my nitrites. The following morning my nitrates were climing to peak at 15 and ammonia and nitrites were 0 and have been since. My nitrates have since dropped to about five. One to two days after my ammonia and nitrites were 0 I added a raw scallop to the tank which started to decompose very quickly. The scallop was in the tank for 72 hours with no activity in ammonia or nitrites. I removed the scallop, waited a few more days and decided to start with my tank inhabitents(sp?).

I decided to go with a small fish first and a crab. I went with a beautiful Purple Fire Fish about two inches long and an Emerald Green Crab. I drip acclimated the crab for about an hour and a half and then floated his bag for about 30 minutes to reach tempurature. The fish acclimated for close to 2 1/2 hours and floated for another 30 minutes. Here are some pictures:

frozenguy

Here are some tank pictures of the fish and the crab doing what they do best:
Btw, ammonia is still at zero same with nitrites and nitrates at about five. salinity is about 1.024 and temp is about 79/80

A

azul1994

Nice setup, can't wait to see it evolve into a beautiful tank!

frozenguy

Thanks for the comments guys! I hope they do really really well. The crab has been eatin none stop!

Oh and the Fire Fish is eating real well too. I'll try and get some other pics soon..

frozenguy

Yeah I love her/him. Great personality, although I can tell that she is a little timid. Definitly wants to get to know me, but is hesitent when I come around. She hasn't discovered all the caves/holes (there are big worm holes going straight through rock and stuff) but she has found a couple nice hiding spots.
Here are a couple quick questions for anyone that can answer them:
1.) Will she not be so nervous as time goes on? I scared her last night after lights were out and i walked in, she swam REALY fast around the tank.. I felt bad..
2.) She eats mysis shrimp very well but she looks like she is regurgitating or chewing really really well. then there is a bump on the underside of her belly. is that all normal? just a big piece? The bump is about a .25 of the size now and moved back almost half her body length. I'm sure its just the food dijesting?

well thanks for the views and comments guys! i'm feelin really good about this tank! I just wanna take it slow.. Gonna add a clean up crew next. I'll eventually be getting another fish (probably clown) just not yet.. not for a while..
OH
3.) does anyone know how to determine the --- of a purple fire fish? or for a crab? lol

bang guy

I'm really liking the rockscape. Is it going to be a reef?
What's preventing the Firefish from carpet surfing?

frozenguy

Glad you guys like it!
I have a glass top for the tank. The one with the plastic in the middle. But I really want to get some egg crate for the top.. egg crate is that plastic square mesh stuff people make frag trays out of right? I want evap and gas exchange to happen freely..

azfishgal

Originally Posted by frozenguy
But I really want to get some egg crate for the top.. egg crate is that plastic square mesh stuff people make frag trays out of right? I want evap and gas exchange to happen freely..
Yes, you can get it at any large home improvement store. I used it before I put my tall canopy on. I think it's much better for a tank to be open if at all possible.
I know my fish were all pretty timid when I first bought them, now they about nip my fingers when I'm trying to fee them.
Some fish will be more timid than others, but I'm sure your fish will get used to you in time. All mine rush to the top of the tank when they see me coming toward it.

frozenguy

hehe yeah my old clowns used to be like that.. I'm sure she/he'll come around.
Thanks for stopping by!! I'll be getting more pics up soon

pokdbz

Originally Posted by frozenguy
Glad you guys like it!
I have a glass top for the tank. The one with the plastic in the middle. But I really want to get some egg crate for the top.. egg crate is that plastic square mesh stuff people make frag trays out of right? I want evap and gas exchange to happen freely..
Keep the glass top for your Firefish. I had one carpet surf when I had the eggcrate on top.

frozenguy

The tank was set up on August 17th. It's all in the first paragraph or two. I had a pretty short cycle which I confirmed with no ammonia spike from a raw scallop.
Thanks for all the great comments guys! I just tested my water and I got 0 for ammonia and 0 for nitrites. I've been adjusting my feeding over that last couple days. I want to learn how much she eats and just be able to feed that amount. I still have excess food, but not too much. I got some great pictures of the crab that i'll post up in a few.

frozenguy

So my tank has been set up for 14 days now. I haven't done a water change yet. Should I? My water parameters are
amm-0
nitrites-0
nitrates-5
I top off every other day.. what do you guys think??