Fuge - Deep Sand Bed, Live Rock, both or neither

stimpy4242

I have always had a DSB and live rock in my fuge. Recently I thought I would add a more natural effect of either mangroves or chaeto and I want to give them room to grow and tumble. Should I remove the LR? Should I remove the DSB? Should I keep one or the other or both? I have a 180 gallon tank that has a DSB in it (i am not looking for comments on this) and has a lot of LR in that. Not sure that much more LR in my fuge which is half of a 55 gallon tank is doing a whole lot more?
What do you think?

cedarreef

If you already have a DSB in your fuge I would leave it. The problem with DSB's is that if they are disturbed they can cause some problems with the anaerobic bacteria they contain. If it's working, why fix it? I would leave the DSB and live rock. Chaeto should be find with the sand and rock as long as it has some room. It doesn't need a ton of space, but some current in the fuge to get the weeds tumbling a bit would be very beneficial.

bang guy

From your post I can't be certain what you are protecting in your refugium. A little insight into your reasons for having a refugium and you may answer your own question.