Fun LITTLE project - need suggestions

gregghia

I wanted to do a small reef tank complete with sump. I was hoping to do it to learn the plumbing side, glass drilling side and just becaseu it would be fun. I was thinking somewhere like a 10 gal tank and 10 gal sump or smaller. I was going to drill the glass and do an overflow internally. My main questions;
1. What is the smallest internal return pump I can get that would work well if its possible. I don't think I could do something like a powerhead but are there small pumps like mag 2?
2. Is there plumbing small enough to make this work? Could I get that at local Lowe's? Also can I get small bulkheads that will work?
3. Are smaller tanks safe for drilling or are they all generally tempered glass?
4. Has anyone done this? If so HELP!

ghettotang

Most people suggest that don't drill the temper tank because it might break and is not safe to drill the tank if isn't already drill.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Jay

gregghia

Originally Posted by TriGa22
I wouldnt drill either.

I thought that when they say tempered glass that was only the bottom of the tank... what about the sides? I could just make an overflow box and make it work?! I could even forgo the drilling myself and have LFS do it. They charge $10 per hole.
I just want a cool project. I guess I want to make an unconventional nano
Don't tell me NO I am excited!

gregghia

You know TriGa22 I guess I could scratch the mini sump idea and just make my own nano come to think of it. Then I can use acrylic and drill easily with my Dremel. I could just copy plans from any of the Nano cubes on the market....
ANYONE done this- have pics?

gregghia

coraldude that is nice!
I am thinking of making it like a nano by partitioning of a part of the tank and putting in overflow and return pump.....

gregghia

coraldude that is nice!
I am thinking of making it like a nano by partitioning of a part of the tank and putting in overflow and return pump.....

gregghia

coraldude that is nice!

sk8shorty01

Man I love the homemade nano. I want to make my own tank so bad but the prices of acrylic here are so expensive. I wanted to make a 190 in the future but the cut acrylic alone will run me almost $700 plus shipping charges if I need to ship. I wish I could find a cheaper place that sells acrylic pieces. I will start with a nano though as that will probably be easier because you dont need bracing or any extra supports. I would try to make your own, what can you lose besides a little money. Just do your test fill outside or in your garage!

weberian

If you want to learn the plumbing side, you should do a real sump down below, so you learn the whole setup, not just a partition of the tank. There are plenty of smaller type pumps you can use - tons of 'em. I am jealous - wish I was building it with you.
DIY bulkhead = 1/2 or 3/4 inch pvc female threaded coupling to a male thread by slip coupling. You find a rubber washer for inside the tank and voila.

triga22

This is what I would do. Take the 10 gallon and a piece of acyrlic. Take a corner out and make an overflow. With eggcrate makea shelf in the back compartment. Use it for floss,carbon, ext. Below that have a small pump that puts it back in the tank. You should only loose 1-2 gallons.

jhebi

Originally Posted by CoralDude
I built this 7.3 gallon nano out of acrylic. Just get acrylic sheets and use Weld-on #3.

How thick does the acrylic sheet need to be? i want to try to build a cube tank for frags.

coraldude

Originally Posted by jhebi
How thick does the acrylic sheet need to be? i want to try to build a cube tank for frags.
I used acrylic sheets from Home Depot but I would recommend using thicker sheets for anything bigger.

gregghia

Originally Posted by azaintcold
I used a 29 and 20l to make the sump for my 150 , and i drilled both of the tanks. You should be able to drill any part of a small tank except for the bottom.
posts 54 and 56
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...=263438&page=2

OK MAGIC QUESTION YET TO BE ANSWERED... what kind of pump for return? I wnat to keep the tank to 10gals...
SUGGESTIONS?

weberian

To size the pump, you have to answer a couple questions: Is it going to be in a partition, or down below? If down below, how many feet down below? How much GPH do you want coming back into the tank?

gregghia

Originally Posted by Weberian
To size the pump, you have to answer a couple questions: Is it going to be in a partition, or down below? If down below, how many feet down below? How much GPH do you want coming back into the tank?
Seems like a partition is compact and easier but I want to learn the plumbing side. So lets say i do a sump. I would make a stand that would have the sump directly below the main tank. I figure if i use 2 10 gal tanks accounting for thier size and enough space in between to work I would say distance would be 3 feet.

weberian

A Quiet One 1200 is rated at 296 gph at zero head, and will pump up to 6.1 ft max head, has a 1/2" male pipe thread fitting. Seems like a good choice to me. ($21.19 plus shipping)
Even though powerheads are not designed for hi-lift, I bet a maxijet 1200 would work too. People in the Nano forum would know.
I recommend you start a new thread in the Nano section, or the DIY equipment section. (seems more appropriate)