Fuzzy Dwarf vs. Violitan

salty001

Hello,
Im getting a lionfish real soon. I have a 75g tank. I was wondering which fish between the fuzzy dwarf and the violitian are more active and honestly coller to have.
Thanks,
Salty001

E

eric b 125

are there any other fish in the tank? what other fish do you want to keep besides lions?

E

eric b 125

oh, and to answer your question. IMO volitans are more active

teds tank

I would say go for a fuzzy
With a Violitan your bioload would be high and Violitans aren't active all the time(more than a fuzzy) but if you go with a fuzzy you could get you have more room for more fish.

R

rcreations

My fuzzy sits on the rocks ALL day. He only starts swimming around at night and during feeding.

boohbahbah

My volitian chills on his rock all day & comes up between 6-9pm for his food, while fuzzy swims around most of the day/night no matter what.
Looks like everyone's fishies are different!

cranberry

As they get older, they all become less active. In a big enough tank a volitans will leisurely swim verses perching all the time.
How big are y'alls tanks with the volitans.

salty001

I have a 300g. I have 2 bluetangs 1 yellow tang. 1 powder. 2 maroon clowns. 1 huma huma trigger.and a bunch of corals. also like 9 green chromas.

boohbahbah

From my understanding, lionfish and clowns don't mix.
We recently got a clown from someone for free and I didn't want to chance it, since the volitan was double his size. If we only had the fuzzy, I probably would have taken the chance since they were about the same size

salty001

Oh. well my clowns are pretty big. around 5 and a half inches. I have 2 tanks. My 75g has bassically nothing in it. but my 300g has a bunch. Should i just put a lionfish in the empty 75? I use it for acclimation. in has live rock and good hiding spots.

boohbahbah

Personally I think you'd be okay if you chose a fuzzy & put him in the 300g. Their short spiky fins don't seem to scratch others as easily. They only get up to 5", I think. While volitans can get up to 12" & their long spines tend to accidentally scratch other fish (in my case, anyway) while they're swimming around. Our volitan was 3" in october and has already more than doubled. Fastest growing fish in our tank!

fmarini

IME both of these fish are fairly active when juveniles, and as Renee mentions once they reach adulthood -slow down considerably. The major difference between the two fish is- 1.5yrs from now your P Volitans will be the size of an america football(15") and your D Brachypterus will be the size of your fist.
All those wonderful tankmates that your lionfish couldnt eat when it was smaller will be gone when the Volitans grows up, and maybe a chromis and goby or two if you have the Fuzzy.
So even thou you have the big tank(which is awesome) if you'll want Volitans-proof tank mates - think big.

boohbahbah

Sometimes it really depends on the lion though. We have a chromis that our volitan could easily eat if he wanted to...but he just doesn't seem to be bothered...which sucks because I want that chromis gone. lol

cranberry

Lions can't easily catch damsels and chromis. They sometimes try a couple of times and then give up.... for awhile. I had a damsel in my tank for the longest time that escaped the "direct feeding net". It would swim just out of reach and could dart really fast. I finally caught it, introduced it again in the net and I swear only the net handle was sticking out of his gob.
I don't believe your volitans has selectively decided to not to eat the chromis.

salty001

im pretty sure im going to put the lion in the 300g. Also i was wondering if the 2 speices of lionfish generally eat the same things. Like would i be able to feed my fuzzy dwarf minnows?

vgl12

Im going to get a fuzzy dwarf soon! To me it sounds like the fuzzy would be fine in the 300g! But if you really want the violitain then i would put it in the 75 and maybe put in some safe tank mates.