fuzzy stuff growing in tank

zoie2

i was thinking of getting an urchin, but i don't think they are coral safe, and then what would i do with it. I'm not sure my lfs would let me borrow it either

zoie2

forget that question, I just loooked them up and they are, plus I guess you wouldn't suggest them if they weren't. On this site it says they are 1" big, does that mean they come an inch big or that's as big as they get? And for a 12 gal how many would I get? And what do I feed them after all the hair algae is gone?

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoie2 http:///forum/thread/383041/fuzzy-stuff-growing-in-tank/20#post_3347428
forget that question, I just loooked them up and they are, plus I guess you wouldn't suggest them if they weren't. On this site it says they are 1" big, does that mean they come an inch big or that's as big as they get? And for a 12 gal how many would I get? And what do I feed them after all the hair algae is gone?
Here's the problem with the nudi's....they will only eat the bryopsis....once it is gone they will starve to death....SOOOO, do you have a lfs or club that maybe you can give it to after the job is done?
If not...well....I think we know the answer to that :( I had one fro my 225G....they do a great job, even though they are slow at it, I thought that I could feed it algae sheets, nope, and eventually it died
For your tank all ou would need is one, and yeah...they are about an inch, and I don't think they get much bigger

zoie2

they have them for sale here for about 10$, but then i have to pay shipping and handling, I wonder if It's almost cheaper/quicker to just drain it and start over. Does my LS need to be in heated water or can I store it in a bucket until I have scrubbed everything?

zoie2

YIKES!! it's 35$ for shipping! It would cost me about 45$ to get one lettuce slug thing, that I would have to give away when I was done. I think I'm definately going to break my tank down.
Now that I have been looking at it closer, I think my pump isn't working very well. The wavemaker nozzle doesn't even spin around anymore. I was going to get new lights next month and a new heater, I probably should just pick up a new pump while I'm at it. I usually use the Maxi-jet 900, I think. Is that still a good one?
Any ideas or suggestions on how to break the tank down would be great. Should I just get rid of the few rocks with the algae on it and start with new rock?

J

jstdv8

or you could starve the "weed" out by doing alot more water changes and adding in some GFo in a bag or something.
IMO critters that eat bad stuff aren't getting rid of the whoe problem just bandaging it.