Galaxea Coral doing something strange

fishrich

So the lights are off in my tank and my galaxea coral is "shooting out" these small white eggs? At the rate of 1-3 every 5 to 10 seconds. I have no idea what this is. I've never seen it before. I've had the galaxea coral over a year. Any thoughts on what this could be?

renogaw

just wanted to say, this can be a bad thing... galaxea corals all over your tank is a good way to get the rest of your corals dead. hope they don't make it IMO

windlasher

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/3052176
just wanted to say, this can be a bad thing... galaxea corals all over your tank is a good way to get the rest of your corals dead. hope they don't make it IMO
Do they just take over so much or... in other words.. cause why?

koldsouth

It sounds very cool, But in reality it sucks. Galaxia is one of the hardest stinging corals, with long sweepers. I have one the size of a Cantalope. They like to reachout and touch everything within 6 to 10 inches if it.
Zoo's and Palys are safe under it on a rock. The sweepers won't reach down to often.
Try Blowing a powerhead in the direction of your overflow that might get most of them out of you DT.
Congrats. on having your tank setup so good that Coral is spawning. Just hope the CUC and the fish can eat that many eggs before they take over.
The only thing in the tank that like the sweepers is my clowns. They think they are to play in. Good luck
keep us posted.

coral head

I break off the long sweepers on my galaxea with the prong end of my glass scraper. I have been doing this for over a year with not damage to the coral. It is a big and as green as its ever been. I have broken off three pieces from it and put them in my frag tank; the original piece is still
approx 6" x 6".
Rick

fishrich

Update: Well after about a hour it stopped its spawning. But it was amazing to watch. But little did I know. The next night it started spawning again! It released eggs for about 45 mins this time. But no more spawning since then. I don't know if any of the eggs made it or if most got sucked out by filters,etc. We will see though.