Gas Prices

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/384064/gas-prices#post_3363376
There are other power sources besides oil, you just want the quick fix.
Name one. Just one. (1)
I am unaware of any.
There is nothing on the horizon that is as efficient, cost effective, has the distribution system in place or will have within the next 10-15 years.
It there was a competitive energy source just waiting in the wings, capitalism would be all over it.
We need to use our own resources (oil) as effectively as possible to fuel the development of alternatives over the next 10-15 years or however long it takes.
Once we no longer need the middle east for oil, when they start their mess, we can just fence them off and let them do their thing, over there.

ironeagle2006

Here are 3 we can use for power generation and for some of the Transportation needs aka the RR's Nuclear Coal and Hydroelectric. However getting a freaking Nuke plant past the Tree Huggers will Never happen at all anymore. The Powder River Basin in WY has enough Coal in it to power the US at current and Future Demands for the next 400 years. There are Genarators devolped that can work in Streams with as little as 9 Feet of water fall most of the dams used to hold back water have a Water flow of 9 feet of Head space for the US Army Corp of Enginners. So we have the dams built already all over the Midwest just have to build a few water pipes and power houses. Now how to cut back on the usage of Oil here in the USA simple Electrification of the RR's on the Heavy Traffic mains.
Wat can we use besides Oil for energy well Methane from Garbage works for Power there is a Plastic that is made from Cornstarch not vfery durable but it does work.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///forum/thread/384064/gas-prices/20#post_3363387
Name one. Just one. (1)
I am unaware of any.
There is nothing on the horizon that is as efficient, cost effective, has the distribution system in place or will have within the next 10-15 years.
Nuclear energy. Its cheap, extremely safe, and already in place. More than half of the nuclear reactors in this country are sitting dormant due to the tree huggers. Once that nuclear waste repository is finished in Nevada, dont be suprised when some of these dormant reactors are turned back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/thread/384064/gas-prices/20#post_3363395
Here are 3 we can use for power generation and for some of the Transportation needs aka the RR's Nuclear Coal and Hydroelectric. However getting a freaking Nuke plant past the Tree Huggers will Never happen at all anymore. The Powder River Basin in WY has enough Coal in it to power the US at current and Future Demands for the next 400 years. There are Genarators devolped that can work in Streams with as little as 9 Feet of water fall most of the dams used to hold back water have a Water flow of 9 feet of Head space for the US Army Corp of Enginners. So we have the dams built already all over the Midwest just have to build a few water pipes and power houses. Now how to cut back on the usage of Oil here in the USA simple Electrification of the RR's on the Heavy Traffic mains.
Wat can we use besides Oil for energy well Methane from Garbage works for Power there is a Plastic that is made from Cornstarch not vfery durable but it does work.
Nuclear - see above
Coal - dirty as all get out. But you are correct. It is widely available, very inexpensive, and already available to more than 75% of the country. If I am not mistaken, this is one of the energy areas that the US shines in with our exporting of coal. The problem with coal is that its kinda hard to sell to tree huggers since of all the 'polution' that is made from the coal plant.
Hydro - Just about every major town in this country is founded on the shores of a river somewhere. If every one of those towns put in a hydroelectric turbine, I cant imagine how much electricity generation would go down. Just have the city use it to power the street lights and whatnot. It doesnt have to be big. For proof that hydro electic power can be good and profitable, check out the TVA.

stdreb27

you guys are making a classic error. (at least in the U.S.) Petroleum based products aren't really for electrical generation. Heck natural gas isn't really either. We mainly use coal for electrical generation.
So when you start talking replacements for oil, windmills isn't an answer...

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///forum/thread/384064/gas-prices/20#post_3363407
you guys are making a classic error. (at least in the U.S.) Petroleum based products aren't really for electrical generation. Heck natural gas isn't really either. We mainly use coal for electrical generation.
So when you start talking replacements for oil, windmills isn't an answer...
Don't forget the nuclear generating plants.
I posted once before how it baffles me when people think they drive "electric" cars. Electricity is only a means of distrubuting the energy that is generated by use of some fuel.
Most "electric" cars in this country are COAL burning cars. Around here, "electric" cars are NUCLEAR powered cars.
Some people think electricity comes from an outlet. They just don't think past their nose. but, it makes them happy...ignorance is bliss they say...
But don't DARE burn more coal, don't DARE build more nuclear generating plants!! We have to drive ELECTRIC cars!!

reefraff

Had government inspectors been doing their jobs the gulf spill more than likely wouldn't have happened.
It makes no sense for us to sit back and not drill in the gulf while Mexico and Cuba are both drilling there. Anwar in Alaska is another place we should be drilling. If ANWAR was the size of a sheet of paper the drill site would be the size of a postage stamp. OH THE HUMANITY!!!

ironeagle2006

Most Plastic Resins can be created from Plant oil feedstocks costs a few cents more but it can be done. Coal can be converted over to Oil so that can be used to replace it. Now here is something interesting. If we used Paper instead of Plastic in Packaging we would save how much in oil usage. Paper instead of Syrofoam Cups Paper instead of Plastic Straws. Cardboard instead of Styrofoam takeout containers stuff like that. Also Stop drinking Bottled Water there is were we use TONS and I mean TONS of Plastics. Considering that the water they use is just fromt he tap of were they bottle it your not getting any differant water tahn what your getting from your house. If your water is that bad get a freaking Water filter fro your house and filter it your self .

darthtang 2

Most Plastic Resins can be created from Plant oil feedstocks costs a few cents more but it can be done. Coal can be converted over to Oil so that can be used to replace it. Now here is something interesting. If we used Paper instead of Plastic in Packaging we would save how much in oil usage. Paper instead of Syrofoam Cups Paper instead of Plastic Straws. Cardboard instead of Styrofoam takeout containers stuff like that. Also Stop drinking Bottled Water there is were we use TONS and I mean TONS of Plastics. Considering that the water they use is just fromt he tap of were they bottle it your not getting any differant water tahn what your getting from your house. If your water is that bad get a freaking Water filter fro your house and filter it your self .
Coal to oil isn't efficient currently an d more costly.....
And we have an endless supply of trees for all those paper products.............
Darth (just hugged a tree) tang.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///forum/thread/384064/gas-prices/20#post_3363433
Actually, paper bags cost more than plastic, given transportation costs. This is why grocery stores changed to plastic. You can transport (I would have to look up the percentage increase) much more per truckload of plastic bags. Plus, plastic, in all it's flavors, is recyclable, paper is not. Plastic can be recycled into the same product over and over. Paper can only be made into lesser grade products each time it is recovered (the fiber length of the paper shortens every trip). I know this because I am a packaging designer and work with this stuff ever day.
Bottled water, I agree 100% with you.

S

smartorl

Haha!
Thread hijack. Slice, question.........
I have a trucking company, our containers ship over the railroads. Is there a real reason why they still put airbags into the loads as an effective tool? For those of you who don't know what I am talking about. It is essentially a brown paper bag, much resembling a horse feed bag that you inflate with air and put at the back of the loads. They are often just laid there, free of any contact with the load.
I understand when I get a package and it has the little plastic air bags around the item adding protection but the airbags in our loads are a joke in my opinion. Any thoughts?

darthtang 2

Some government buerocrat made it a federal statute that shipments in tractor trailer rigs over a certain weight required these added protections. Incidentally he owned the packaging company that made these.
I just made that up...but strangely it sounds plausible.
Hikack in full effect....BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
DARTH (FLAV A FLAV) TANG

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/384064/gas-prices/20#post_3363468
Haha!
Thread hijack. Slice, question.........
I have a trucking company, our containers ship over the railroads. Is there a real reason why they still put airbags into the loads as an effective tool? For those of you who don't know what I am talking about. It is essentially a brown paper bag, much resembling a horse feed bag that you inflate with air and put at the back of the loads. They are often just laid there, free of any contact with the load.
I understand when I get a package and it has the little plastic air bags around the item adding protection but the airbags in our loads are a joke in my opinion. Any thoughts?
Hiya Smartorl, drop tests certified for rail transport includes a rather strenuous "incline impact" test. If anything can kill a pallet load of product, this test can. The greatest source of impact during rail shipment is during coupling/uncoupling railcars. The front/rear impacts can shove pallets of product from one end of the railcar to the other. The equivalent force of these impacts can be as much as a 10 foot drop. These airbags attempt to absorb some of that force.

mrdc

I heard on NPR that Libya only produces about 2% of all oil even though they are sitting on a ton of it. Seems their production facilities are a little lacking. Most of their oil goes to Europe also, and any reductions can be offset by increases in output by Saudi Arabia. All that being said, not a impact on supply, but I bet it will still drive up the price even more. Crude oil crossed $100 a barrel today. I didn't notice a rise in gas prices coming into work this morning but that might change soon.

monsinour

Well, the grooming bus is a desiel. I am going to guess its about a 6 to 8 MPG vehicle. I certainly hope its more. Now to figure out how many gallons I will need at 8 MPG to get home. I hope I have enough $.