Gas Tax vs Driving Tax

bionicarm

Seems Washington is looking into reducing the standard gas tax they charge per gallon, instead adding a 'driving tax', charging the driver a 'cents per mile' for each mile they drive in their vehicle. They would perform some kind of 'odometer check' each time you visited a gas pump. Not sure how that would work. We'd go back to full service gas, or you'd have to go inside to an attendent to show them a picture of your odometr reading before you could put gas iin your car? They could also vary the charge depending on the time of day, the size and weight of the vehicle, and the location of the driver (suburban s. rural).
http://www.ksat.com/automotive/27933830/detail.html

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/385750/gas-tax-vs-driving-tax#post_3384576
Seems Washington is looking into reducing the standard gas tax they charge per gallon, instead adding a 'driving tax', charging the driver a 'cents per mile' for each mile they drive in their vehicle. They would perform some kind of 'odometer check' each time you visited a gas pump. Not sure how that would work. We'd go back to full service gas, or you'd have to go inside to an attendent to show them a picture of your odometr reading before you could put gas iin your car? They could also vary the charge depending on the time of day, the size and weight of the vehicle, and the location of the driver (suburban s. rural).
http://www.ksat.com/automotive/27933830/detail.html
They would either have to retrofit a tracking device on every car registered in America or trust that people wont unhook their odometer. Yeah, right. What they will end up doing is require pure electric car owners to track miles and tax those.A better idea would be to quit bribing people to buy them and tout the fact you avoid a lot of taxes by driving them. I think it's like 8 grand the feds hand to people who buy them.

mantisman51

So the people paying the bulk of the tax would be those of us who live in rural areas and have to drive alot. Another retarded idea by democratics :) to grab more taxes. Anyone with a brain knows they wouldn't replace the gas tax with this. It would be a second tax. Now's time for the communists who have been most successfully brainwashed to start the "well then don't live in rural areas" cr@p.

stdreb27

lol, you know, (and this is me actually acknowledging the need of taxes, and ignoring the rampant borderlining criminal misuse of funds, plus being a good conservator of the environment) But the per gallon tax is an excellent way of funding roads. Because it taxes people on use, and not a progressive tax system (tax the richer people more), it also rewards people for using more efficient vehicles. The better gas milage you get the less you pay in taxes. Plus it is simple to track, and collect. And dang hard to cheat on. IMO it is one an excellent fair system for funding roads.
However, from a political science point of view. You're fooling yourself if you believe it is a mileage tax vs per gallon tax issue. It is going to be a per gallon tax plus mileage tax system.
From a logistical standpoint, It is inferior in every way, you'd be talking fitting every car with some sort of tracking device. You'd have to have some sort of collections agency. Realistically you'd be talking about another beaurocracy equal in size to the IRS. (what are they going to do, come repo your car if you don't pay) Then how would you pay? monthly, quarterly, yearly? It just doesn't make any sense.

aquaknight

How did I miss this thread...
Anyway, it's dreamland type thinking. Same with that idea to install breathalyzers into every car to prevent dui's... Just can't. What about older cars with mechanical odometers with no computer to tap into? Gas station attendant has to read your odo? Just tape a friggin photoshopped picture on top.

darthtang aw

Only roads maintained by the fed are interstates and highways to my knowledge....so just tjrn them into toll roads....would be easier and less paperwork..not to mention the money saved in calculating this crap.....dumbest most obstrective money pit tax I have e er heard of..half the tax collected would go to just the operatiion of the program......not to mention the lines you just created at gas stations...

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/385750/gas-tax-vs-driving-tax#post_3385123
Only roads maintained by the fed are interstates and highways to my knowledge....so just tjrn them into toll roads....would be easier and less paperwork..not to mention the money saved in calculating this crap.....dumbest most obstrective money pit tax I have e er heard of..half the tax collected would go to just the operatiion of the program......not to mention the lines you just created at gas stations...
The NYS Thruway Authority has stated that they could take down the tolls except that they need to collect the tolls in order to pay the toll collectors.
I'm fine with a per gallon tax as long as the money go to maintaining highways. It is the best option IMO until most of the cars on the road are electric.

darthtang aw

The NYS Thruway Authority has stated that they could take down the tolls except that they need to collect the tolls in order to pay the toll collectors.

I'm fine with a per gallon tax as long as the money go to maintaining highways.  It is the best option IMO until most of the cars on the road are electric. 

Because the unionized it and made it man operated...go automated and it is cheaper in the long run.....one operate per toll stop for tech and maintenance......I guarranttee you I could set it up cheaper than. NYS has done......it would actually make money...not break even.