getting new VHO'S!!!!

W

wildmike

I have a 55gal and I am getting some VHOs. There will be 4 110 watt bulbs, My question is do I get 2 actinic and 6,500k and 1 10,000k. Or do I get 1 actinic, 1 50/50, 1 6,500k, 1 10,000. What would you guys do? I want to grow corals!!! It looks like it would be 8 watts a gal. that would be enough to grow most corals right? I am not going to try and keep the hard ones yet. Ok tell me what you guys think!!!!
Thanks
Mike

W

wildmike

Where do you get your picture from slothy? I really like scat!! i want to try and find one of his pictures!!!

W

wildmike

I found that one too!!!! Tell me what you think?? I like the first one!!

jarrod

55 gallon reef here and just upgraded to vho's last week.
2 super actinics
2 aquasuns
I hate it! the whole tank looks pink.
Broomer had the same thing and switched out 1 aquasun with a 50/50 and says the color is more balanced.
Unfortunatly our lfs didn't have any 50/50, so I'm still in the pink here.
Unless like like pink I would go with:
2 super actinics
1 aquasun
1 50/50
Congrats on the light upgrade!
Christina

chinnyr

I just started piecing my new vhos together last night.Well....one missing endcap and I have to wait until tomorrow to put it together.I went with 2 whites and 2 super actinics.My friend turned me onto this combo,and he has been using it for several years.I have some more rock on the way also.I'll post some pics when all is done.

tangman99

NOOOOOO!! SCRAT IS MINE! MINE! MINE!
I have 2 actinic and 2 50/50. It's a little too blue for me. I think I will do the aquasuns in place of the 50/50 next time I change bulbs.

bang guy

Jarrod - Bulb placement also has a lot to do with the color and don't neglect phosphor burn-in either.
If you have blue-white-white-blue you can just change the order from front to back to blue blue white white and it will significantly alter the visual color of the tank.

W

wildmike

Thanks everyone for your information!!!
Tangman99 atleast we don't have the same picture!! sorry for stealing your idea. :p
Mike

tangman99

Originally posted by wildmike
Thanks everyone for your information!!!
Tangman99 atleast we don't have the same picture!! sorry for stealing your idea. :p

No problem. Just having some fun with you. I'm glad I'm not the only Scrat fan out there.