Getting out of the hobby! Anyone in the Toronto, Canada area send me a PM!

katsafados

I'm breaking down my tank! Lost interest in the maintenece of saltwater tanks, I think for now with school and all I'm just going to sell everything and have a 30g freshwater community tank.
If anyone is in the Toronto area send me a PM might be able to sell you some stuff.
got about half a bucket (maybe a little more) of reef crystals
testing kits
refractometer
different additives
2 nanno powerheads
18" HOB refugium w/ pump
might sell the fixture 2x65watt pc lights (unless I can use them for the freshwater tank.)
about 8+ lbs of figi live rock (if i cant get credit from big als for it.)
maybe a 35g/day r/o unit
and what ever else I can find..

katsafados

Just costs way to much money and time lol. With summer around the corner I rather be out and about then inside cleanning the tank. I will probably get back into it down the road but not right now with school and everything.
On a good note went to big als sold 3 of the corals so far
green eye chalice or w.e made my money back he gave me $45 for it
the favias he gave me $45 made my money back
the nuclear blastos, I made double my money, he fell in love with them and gave me $80 and I only paid $40 for them.
Going back later on to sell some more corals and the fish.

katsafados

Yeah but ontop of scrubbing algae, making sure everything is running correctly, scrubbing power heads, changing filter media scrubbing that.. ect.
Then you got the sudden blooms of random stuff that will make the tank crash, and having to figure out what it is and how to treat it, its all so time consuming.
I'm goingt o buy a 46g bow front with the credit im gretting sell all my aquarium equipment that I can, but build a planted freshwater community tank.
Have some angels, school of tetras ect. Already been researching it. Seems simple enough

meowzer

OKOK....I get it...geesh......as many tanks as I have I know the maintenance involved.....
BUT it is just a 10G LOL

kuriooo

Hi,
Can you check out my thread
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/384622/thinking-about-a-tank-need-advice-from-experienced-hobbyists
as I'm interested in why you're thinking of decommissioning your tank.
What size tank did you have? How long did you have it? What was the maintenance like in terms of time and money?
You mentioned a lot of crashes, algae blooms & other problems in your thread, would some of these have gone more smoothly if you had researched more, or was this just part of what seemed to be a normal learning curve to saltwater?
Thanks!

katsafados

10g tank, 2.5 years, 1hour cleanning once a week, roughly $3, 000CAN to date(start to finish, equipment, livestock ect.).
Crash's and algae blooms just happen, its all about how much your determined to fix the problems. I researched alot, this was my first saltwater tank. Its enjoyable but im a university student and I just cant find the time to keep up with the tank or the money.