Giant Puffer with 1000 gal tank

justforfun

As some of you know i got a new 255 wall tank. I am now getting a 1000 gallon tank also. Here is a pic of my new puffer. The goldern at the top of the tank is about 6 to 7in. This is just a large cyclinder holding tank at the fish store. The puffer underneath is the one I am getting. He is a monster. When he comes to the top of the tank and puts his head out of the water you could put your hand in his mouth. I cant wait to bring him home. I will take my camera to the store on sat to get some better pics. You have to see him in person to see how big he really is.
He had a 2 ft nurse shark in the tank with him, when the nurse shark started to bother him, he just to his huge tail and spanked the nurse shark.
More to come soon.

demi7996

OH WOW. that's amazing how big that one is!!!!!!!!!
You must post more pics as soon as you can, I LOVE puffers and it would make me really happy to see a bunch of pics attempting to depict his true size.
Thanks for posting! :joy: :joy: :cheer:

gofish85

that's a porcupine puffer not a balloonfish. this animal gets huge but a 900 gallon tank will be fine. feed a wide variety. i put one in a lexus dealership that has a 750 gallon bow front and it eats almost anything. the two puffers should be fine.SHOULD. i would like to know how long it is.

aw2

GoFish...I've seen a few of your posts, talking about you "working" on tanks and have seen the tanks you're talking about.
Who do you work for?

gofish85

I work at the Chicago Reptile House in orland park IL.. we were originally called chicago aquatics but recently we merged with another person and changed our name to GoFish Aquariums. we have a store front and a maintenance service. our largest clients are bass pro shops in Gurnee, lexus dealership of orland and a resteraunt called canoe club. we have three seperate spots which include a reptile , bird , and fish store. At the fish store which is where im mostly the time i don't usually do maintenance with an exception of lexus and canoe club because those tanks need someone to actually dive in. Im very short so pretty much im the perfect candidate for the job. at the store front people only work in their department because usually that's all they know because they are hobbyists ..for instance i don't like birds and know very little about reptiles but i can talk about fish all day.... where are you located AW2? you should come visit my store ...if your into reptiles the web adress is www.chicagoreptile.net ...theyre really into the breeding of ball pythons right now.. i don't know if anyone out there has heard of the NARBC...I forget exactly what that stands for but it's some crazy breeders club but one of the owners of the store runs this program. it's really cool.

aw2

I've visited Reptile House many times, in the past few years, when I lived out in the burbs. I now live in the city and it's just too far to drive. When I was visiting the store, it was before I was keeping salt, so I dont remember how good the fish were...but, excellant, excellant reptile selection.
Are you guys looking for anything part time (weekends), doing maintenance on any downtown accounts you may have?

petjunkie

How exactly do you "bring home" a fish that size. I mean you can't just bag that monster up, maybe just seatbelt him in next to you. He'd be alright.

justforfun

he has large crates you put him in, and have to use a truck or van to get him home. my only question is how do you get him in the tank. I would say just pick him up, but what if he puffs on you. Those thigs would go through your finger. I am very curious my self.

aw2

During transport...from taking it out of tank at the store, to putting back in the tank at home...DO NOT!!!! take that fish out of water. You never, ever expose puffers to air. Puffers, when exposed to air, will inflate, filling with air instead of water and it can EASILY kill them.

justforfun

The new tank is not even built yet. I am getting it built soon, and am putting together all the parts for it right now. I bought a Regal Angel Adult Red Sea today. I also bought my best friend a 7in Black Dog Face Puffer.
I also had to visit my Giant Puffer. He had a golden puffer, black dog face, and a guinea fowl puffer in with the big guy. It was like puffer central. Cant wait to get him home. He loves to be petted on the head like a dog. You just tap the water and he come and sticks his head up. Then you just pet his head and top of the back.
Sorry but i forgot to take my camera with me.
I am getting a black spotted dog face tommorow. He is about 6in. I am also going to get a 25gallon nano tank to mess around with.
I love fish, this is the best hobby I have ever had.

demi7996

i agree, pretty dumb.

anywho, we're excited about the monster puffer, and you are obligated to show pics of full tank set up with the creature!

sharkboy97

because i want to know where they are all going during the construction of the tank or if the store owner is going to hold them that long

justforfun

Originally Posted by Sharkboy97
why are you buying fish when you dont have the tank yet
I am in process of getting the tank made. I have not bought the fish yet. But if someone comes into the store to buy him, then i will have to lay down the cash. But not to many people have a tank that will fit him.