Glass or Acrylic?

sheni_angel

Acrylics sounding really nice, the way I would like to go...but spendy too. What are your thoughts and experiences out there? :p

Well, i would go with glass 110% here are the reasons why:
1) acrylic scatches soo easy and is very hard to get out.
2) it is very expensive
3) when you are adding LR, the acrylic will scratch
4) Algea grows very easy in acrylic cuase of the tiny pours in the acrylic, which alows the algeat to grow and not come out.
1) acrylic is very lights and if you drop it...no big deal, you pick it up
1) glass is very heavy wieghing more than 85 times the wieght of acrylic.
2) if you drop it.....time to go back to the lfs
3) glass does NOT have the tiny pours so algea does not grow as fast
4) glass doesnt scrach alowing you to use a mag float insted of a hand-held algea scrubber
5) glass is actually more clear than acrylic.
There are many advantages and disadvantages of both. Acrylic scraches and is more pricey and so much lighter, but glass is less pricy and doesnt scrach, and is more than 85 times heavyer. I would say GO WITH GLASS!

lnarobbins

I got a 90 gallon glass but I want a 150 or 200 Acrylic the only reason I want the Acrylic is because of the weight I WILL GET THE BIGGER TANK
I WILL GET THE BIGGER TANK I WILL GET THE BIGGER TANK
I sure would like a bigger tank :)

byrself

clean glass is clear enough. the only thing i hate about glass is the corners. but i would be pissed to pay 3 or 4 hundred bucks for an acrylic tank and have a nice piece of live rock fall into it and scar it all up. wouldn't be worth the red a$$ to me. would make a nice fish only tank though, maybe for one that was mounted in the wall or something, so you wouldn't ever have to worry about the silicon seal leaking (that sucks also)

nacl-h2o

I prefer glass, all of mine are glass. For many of the above reasons except the one about glass being clearer. Its not acrylic is 15% clearer than glass. The only reason I would get an acrylic tank is if I was getting a big one[200 or more] that I would have to move at some time. If it is in one place to stay the weight difference between acrylic and glass is small compared to the weight of the contents water @ 8lbs a gallon + heavier things displacing it like LR and sand.

sheni_angel

Wow! Thanks for all the input guys! That's a lot different than I thought that I would hear. I thought I had to go acrylic because of the weight of the water in a 90 gallon (safer from leaks). Glass is much cheaper so that sounds good to me. Anybody had leak problems with glass over a period of time? :rolleyes:

ty@heidi

I would have to side with a glass tank. We have both glass and acrylic, and although the acrylic may by clearer, you can hardly tell the difference, (especially, because the acrylic is usualy coverd with alge because it is more of a pain to keep clean) I think only go acryic if you are going very large.

susiepan

Glass is your best bet, as long as you dont use a blade to clean it, or then you will wind up with a tank that is just as difficult as acrylic to keep..All the Algae will deposit in the scrapes from the blade..
I have friends that were too lazy to scrub the glass, so they used a blade, often, and now the tank is pitted...and a REAL pain in the a$$ to clean...
Your seals can leak, but it still is worth while to me to have a glass tank if you have LR..
~Susie
;)

sheni_angel

Do you just reseal it yourself periodically? How does that work with a full stocked reef tank? Because it's sealed inside, right?

silkks11

i have a 90 glass and a 125 acylic, and I would definetely stay with my acrylic tanks, they are awesome and don't scratch as easy as everyone says they do. Just my opinion

teog

i too have a 90g glass and 160g acrylic...i prefer the arylic for the following resons:
1.Doesnt scratch as easy as everyone says
2.easy to set up due to weight
3. clearer any given day then my glass (no green tint)
4.does not collect algea like mentioned previously
anyway just my 2 cents

kris

Interesting--I have had glass my whole life (except for the little 1g betta tank :D ) I did a little research asked a few folks at on-line dealers and lfs and such. Anyway I just ordered my 170 bowfront acrylic Tenecor (with oak stand and canopy) :D :D :D :D :D :D
I ordered it because even though it was a little more expensive it came with a lifetime guarantee against scratching and breaking or leaking which he said is pretty much impossible without malicious intent(he said if there is ever a scratch I can't get out, they'd replace it) I also heard form both glass and acrylic people that it really doesn't scratch as easily as it used to and that acrylic was sorta given a bad name by cheaper brands and older materials and workmanship procedures. I havenever heard about algae growing faster on acrylic or being harder to clean off--just that you need to pick your cleaning utensils carefully. Don't use anything unless specifically designed for acrylic including the outtside of the tank.
Anyway--I'm hoping I won't be dissapointed in it-actually I would find it difficult to be dissapointed in my "dream tank"

wastnwages

Just to let ya know yes they do scratch real easy i have both and know I scratched my first tank with a friggin paper towel wiping dust off and yes it was a clarity plus tank so yes they do scratch real easy

j21kickster

about the visibility factor- i have both and i dont notice a difference- its isnt really untill you get into real thick material that you will notice visibility changes

komet

Acrylic is the way to go in any large tank- 90 gallons or more. For me the peace of mind that I have knowing it wont break or leak is priceless. Ive had 2 glass tanks in the past that developed serious leaks. It is way clearer IMO and easy to clean with the proper tools(kent pro scrapers, etc) Iv ehad mine for over a year and Ive only noticed a few very small scratches.

jarre

I've got a 180 and a 250 Acrylic and a 45 Glass.
IMO - Acrylic ALL THE WAY!
nolofinwe - I'll take the ass chewing because I didn't read anything in his post that states glass is better or worse then acrylic. He makes good points, but I don't see the points being determining factors.
Example - If you have kids that get a little on the rough side when you're not home which type would get damaged easier. I haven't done a study but I'm willing to bet that major damage like breakage would be easier with glass.
That's my opinion, but I could be wrong! :D