God vs Satan question

1journeyman

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
http:///forum/post/2587158
Actually, in some cases it is easier. The cell wall forms due to the hydrophobic (water fearing) nature of lipids. Put the right lipids into water and you get a simple form of a cell membrane. As for multicellularity, there are many intermediates even today - single cell organisms that like to form colonial structures in which some of the cells in the colony begin to specialize. It isn't much of a stretch to imagine these stabilizing, and you have the beginnings of multicellularity. The current theory on mitochondria is that they were once free-living organisms that invaded cells, and a form of mutualism developed in which the host and invader both benefited. There is genetic evidence that this is so, but I don't believe there are any fossil remains of mitochondria available. Birds: the fossil evidence is that birds did not evolve all of those traits at once, and there probably is no single moment when you could point at an organism and say "BIRD!". Flight has evolved independently several times (bats, birds, flying squirrels), indicating that this is a sound survival strategy, and evolves without much difficulty. For a good introduction to these ideas and their supporting evidence, check out Neil Shubin's book, "Your Inner Fish".
Those are all very partial and very small examples when you need a giant puzzle piece.
The way certain lipids behave in water is an example of a cell wall developing? How then did the nucleus also happen to evolve simultaneously to operate inside of it? Etc. Etc. Etc.
There is an enormous difference between colonies of single celled organisms and the first multi-cellular organism.
Assuming mitochondria were individual creatures that invaded early cells is a great example of "faith".
My point of flight is to simply point out the vast array of diiferent events that would have to simultaneously eveolve in order for it to occur. Take the flying squirrel for example. They don't fly, nor do we see them evolving feathers anytime soon to become better at flying. To say flying evolves fairly easily is another great example of "faith". Look at the number of species of birds that are flightless that we've seen go extinct. Clearly the non-flight phase of flying is rather percarious. Again, this "weak" phase (less fit) should have been wiped out of the evolutionary tree, not been allowed the millions of years neccessary to fully develop into flight (according to Darwin's premise)

socal57che

http:///forum/post/2587162
OK, lets discuss ring species as an example of new species, and speciation in action. Ring species are species that distributed in a line, such as around the base of a mountain. Each population is able to breed with its neighbor, but groups at the ends of the line are not able to interbreed. Examples are: greenish warblers (Phylloscopus trochiloides), around the Himalayas. Their behavioral and genetic characteristics change gradually, starting from central Siberia, extending around the Himalayas, and back again, so two forms of the songbird coexist but do not interbreed in that part of their range
(Irwin, Darren E., Staffan Bensch and Trevor D. Price, 2001. Speciation in a ring. Nature 409: 333-337.). There are countless other examples of speciation that are plainly observable - I'll leave it up to you to go to the effort to Google them.
Yet this does not make them anything but greenish warblers. Unlike Peef's velociraptor example, your birds are still warblers. I don't deny that microevolution occurs. Adaptation to environment is obviosly viable. What I fail to see is your warbler growing scales and becoming a fish. Certainly some of them live near water.

geridoc

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2587197
Those are all very partial and very small examples when you need a giant puzzle piece.
The way certain lipids behave in water is an example of a cell wall developing? How then did the nucleus also happen to evolve simultaneously to operate inside of it? Etc. Etc. Etc.
There is an enormous difference between colonies of single celled organisms and the first multi-cellular organism.
Assuming mitochondria were individual creatures that invaded early cells is a great example of "faith".
My point of flight is to simply point out the vast array of diiferent events that would have to simultaneously eveolve in order for it to occur. Take the flying squirrel for example. They don't fly, nor do we see them evolving feathers anytime soon to become better at flying. To say flying evolves fairly easily is another great example of "faith". Look at the number of species of birds that are flightless that we've seen go extinct. Clearly the non-flight phase of flying is rather percarious. Again, this "weak" phase (less fit) should have been wiped out of the evolutionary tree, not been allowed the millions of years neccessary to fully develop into flight (according to Darwin's premise)
Journey: Your assertions are not good biology. For example, you question about how the nucleus developed - you would only have to ask bacteria, who have DNA, but no nucleus, to see how a cell could function without a nucleus. The example of mitochondria is not an example of faith, except in the scientific method. Mitochondria have genomes quite different from their hosts, and in fact, bear striking resemblance to existing bacteria in many sequences. As for flight - the non-flight phase can't be that precarious, since flighted animals are rare compared to the number of animals who don't fly - including homo sapiens. So, I guess some animals can survive flightlessly while they develop flight stepwise. And please don't change the bar - especially since science rarely gets large puzzle pieces - scientists are quite accustomed to putting the puzzle together from small pieces, since that is what we usually get.

geridoc

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2587465
Yet this does not make them anything but greenish warblers. Unlike Peef's velociraptor example, your birds are still warblers. I don't deny that microevolution occurs. Adaptation to environment is obviosly viable. What I fail to see is your warbler growing scales and becoming a fish. Certainly some of them live near water.
OK - so there is no answer while you continue to move the bar. They began as interbreeding animals, and evolved so that they can no longer interbreed. You call it microevolution, but evolution calls it the origin of new species from existing species. If you won't accept that, how about observed speciation in plants (Owenby, M. 1950. Natural hybridization and amphiploidy in the genus Tragopogon. Am. J. Bot. 37:487-499;Gottleib, L. D. 1973. Genetic differentiation, sympatric speciation, and the origin of a diploid species of Stephanomeira. American Journal of Botany. 60: 545-553;Pasterniani, E. 1969. Selection for reproductive isolation between two populations of maize, Zea mays L. Evolution. 23:534-547), mushrooms (Ancient and Recent Patterns of Geographic Speciation in the Oyster Mushroom Pleurotus Revealed by Phylogenetic Analysis of Ribosomal DNA Sequences, Rytas Vilgalys and Bao Lin Sun, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Vol. 91, No. 10 (May 10, 1994), pp. 4599-4603) and drosophila (Patterns of Speciation in Drosophila, Jerry A. Coyne and H. Allen Orr, Evolution, Vol. 43, No. 2 (Mar., 1989), pp. 362-381). They have been telling you that speciation has never been seen - it just ain't so I tell ya, it just ain't so!

geridoc

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2587465
Take a look at the literature on tiktalik
, which is clearly transitional between a fish and land dweller. Is that "macro" enough?

stdreb27

Originally Posted by peef
http:///forum/post/2584099
Ok so this is totally not a place to try and convert/bash people and isn't the point of my, I guess question....that being said here it is
So I had a dream last night ok. Now I am not religious at all I spent years going to church and just decided nah not for me BUT I did pay attention. So in the bible somewhere I know it says that Satan will tempt everyone. And that his disguises will be the more ruethless and cunning than could ever be imagined....or something along those lines.
So in my dream I came to the realization that God was not God and that he/she/it was really satan and that was his most cunning of disguises. Making us think he was god. And being that, THAT was why more people have been killed in the name of religion why more people have lost friends and family and so on and so forth than ANY other reason. And why there are SO many different gods, to each religion their own yah know. Because he appears in what form you want to see him. Because I mean honestly if there is a god there are not 10,000 different ones like there are religions that all claim mine is the only.....
So yeah no bashing no converting nothing like that but tell me what you think! I had a messed up dream I know.
That is interesting, I'm smelling a great movie with al pachino and K. Reeves in it.

socal57che

http:///forum/post/2587607
, which is clearly transitional between a fish and land dweller. Is that "macro" enough?
I'm researching these one at a time.
Your warblers are able to breed. They choose
not to because of a learned variance in song. The experts say this MAY point to how a species MIGHT evolve.
Moving on to the next one. I'll have to get to it when I return from soccer and karate.

socal57che

http:///forum/post/2587607
I'm researching these one at a time.
Your warblers are able to breed. They choose
not to because of a learned variance in song. The experts say this MAY point to how a species MIGHT evolve.
Moving on to the next one. I'll have to get to it when I return from soccer and karate.

socal57che

This study concerns plant hybrids. The term species is used loosely in botany. I suppose I should have done a little research myself before blabbing about accepting just one example. It seems that there are lots and lots of definitions of the word species and just as many contexts related to whether a speciation has, in fact, occured.
In the case of Tragopogon all the related species are also forms of Tragopogon. Some argue that the species remained the same while traits within the species did change; i.e. a plant in nebraska has "x" blooms per plant and the same plant in oregon has fewer, therefore it must be a different species rather than a variation of the same species.
An analogy might be that white humans are of a different species than black humans because they have different melanin pigmentation. There is even difference in DNA between the two. In botany they would be considered different species.
So, due to a technicality which I was not aware of I shall eat crow.
Here is a list of the common definitions of species for anyone that is interested:
"These include:
1. folk
2. biological
3. morphological
4. genetic
5. paleontological
6. evolutionary
7. phylogenetic and
8. biosystematic definitions."
Here's where I got bit:
"The application of the BSC (biological species concept) to a number of groups, including land plants
, is problematical because of interspecific hybridization between clearly delimited species (McCourt and Hoshaw 1990, Mishler 1985)."
Because a botanist is free to prescribe the term species loosely he can assign a new species name to an obvious adaptation of a preexisting species.
I in no way concede that man evolved from a monkey's uncle.