Going to larger tank cycle question

tifosi

I currently have a 55 with 75lb rock and 55lb sand. I will be upgrading to a 75 in the livingroom. My question is once it is setup should I put some of the live rock in it to speed up the cycling process?? I would also like to move some of the sand too but I am afraid that it will muck up the current tank with inhabitants. On top of that, lets say that the new tank is done cycling, to I dispose the sand of the old tank because I don't want to mess up the new tank.

bang guy

You can save the top 1/2" of the old sand bed. If you dig into a grey layer then you've gone too deep.
Using you existing rock is an excellent idea IMO.

dburr

Originally Posted by tifosi
I currently have a 55 with 75lb rock and 55lb sand. I will be upgrading to a 75 in the livingroom. My question is once it is setup should I put some of the live rock in it to speed up the cycling process?? I would also like to move some of the sand too but I am afraid that it will muck up the current tank with inhabitants. On top of that, lets say that the new tank is done cycling, to I dispose the sand of the old tank because I don't want to mess up the new tank.
I always used all the sand, but it depends on how old the sand is also. If it's 2+ years, do what bang said. Under 2 years, IMO, use all of it. Just put the live stock in a new garbage can for a few days. The tank will cycle in 4 days to a week.
Where in CT are you? Do you have interest in joining the CTARS reef club? We will be at the Farmington Marriott this Saturday at 3 to 5 PM.

tifosi

I would LOVE to use some of the sand in the old tank since it has been up for about 4 years now. I am only worried that if I do that I will mess up the new tank. Am I wrong with this worry?? Since I want to move that fish right over once the cycling is done.