Gold Stripe Maroon Clownfish Pair

landmeier

Here's the story: I first had a juvy gold stripe in my tank for about a year. Next I added a bulbble tip anenome(sp?). A few weeks after the anenome I added a larger second gold stripe. After the addition of the anenome the juvy paid no attention to it. After adding the second larger clown it went straight for the anenome. The two clownfish didn't notice each other very much the first few days because the big on was always in the anenome. After a week or so they began to hang out a little, sometimes nipping at each other, nothing too brutal. After a few days they were with each other at all times. They follow each around the tank during feeding time and both bring food back to their anenome, which is where they both coexist happily. The cool part about it is my anenome is dividing and there is a big one and a small one. They are both still attached. It is really cool to watch them share the anenome. My question is why do they both keep digging a hole in the sand around the anenome and the rock it is attached to? They fan their tails and blow the sand out of the way. I have about 6-8 inches of sand and they have gone down about 3 inches or more. They do this everyday. They even do it when I walk up to the tank like they are showing off. I think they might be pairing up which is what I am hoping but this is my first experience with a clown accepting an anenome and having more than one clown in the tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Other stories would be nice too. Please everyone add your two cents. I never seem to get more than a handful of replies but I see many people have viewed my posting. Come on don't be shy, we can all learn together. It will help all of us out in the long run. Don't be discouraged if your new to the hobby and don't know much, just leave a story about any behavior you have noticed when keeping clowns. Thanks everyone, I hope you aren't asleep by the time you finish reading this so you can't post a reply!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

shels

I beleive it is natural behavior for the clowns to fan the sand. They are showing how tuff they are. There is a good chance they are pairing up. Mine did.
I have big maroon clown that was hanging out with my Dragon Wrass, so I thought I wought get her a mate. I put my name on a list at my fav. LFS. A few months later I got a call that they have several small maroon gold stripe clowns. I picked the one I thought looked the best. When I introduced him to the tank, he went to my Flame Hawk Fish. The Hawk fish was looking him like I don't think so, meanwhile my blue devil damsel hit the new clown. That was all it took, here she came after that damsel. He went to her and they started hanging out together. The damsel still will not even glance at the little clown. LOL They lay eggs every 3 weeks, they are never far apart from each other. I bought the little clown almost 2 years ago, and they are still going strong.
Shel:D

tigerlover

Just to give you my experience with clowns:
The first one I had was alone(false perc) and was eaten by my condylactus. Now on the subject, I have 3 clowns w/ no anemone but one very small green metallic mushroom they love even though they are twice its size. mine have never shown this behavior(true percs) but 2 have paired up and left the other one to hang out with my psuedochromis, he doesn't seem to mind though:)
And yes, they are pairing up (99.9% sure) the smaller will be the male and the larger the female if you didn't know.;)

landmeier

The only problem is the sand is everywhere. It is on the surface of my sponges and gorgonias. Will this kill them. I think it is neat to watch them fan the sand but not when it keeps landing on my corals. yes I already know the larger will be the female that is why I bought the second one a lot larger. Thansk for the replies. Any help whith my question about damage to coral? Should I blow the sand off with a powerhead? Anyone actually have a mated pair of gold stripes that were not paired when you bought them but paired them in your tank?

y2says

I have a gold stipe and it's digging once in awhile. What you can do is put a large piece of rock where they are digging. Sometimes this will make them stop. I too want to add another clown for them to mate. However, I already have a sailfin, watchman goby, pearl blenny and my maroon in my 54g corner and I don't want to add another fish.

rook

Mine have never messed with the sand. I had one clown for a year and half or so, as well as the bta. The second clown I got about two months or so ago. My clown is quite high in the rocks though and they stay pretty close to that.
I have to attach another pic as I love these guys.