Good Beginner Corals?

vsecret

So I just ordered my first T5 lighting!!! What would be good corals to start with? I want soft corals. I have a 55g and all my fish are reef safe :)

btldreef

Originally Posted by vsecret
http:///forum/post/3280222
So I just ordered my first T5 lighting!!! What would be good corals to start with? I want soft corals. I have a 55g and all my fish are reef safe :)
Zoanthids (zoos) and other polyps
Mushrooms
Leathers
I'd also try Duncans and a few other LPS: brains (- open, lobo, closes, maze, favia), torch, frogspawn.
Just add slowly.
You should be able to do most corals except for most SPS.

flower

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3280227
Zoanthids (zoos) and other polyps
Mushrooms
Leathers
I'd also try Duncans and a few other LPS: brains (- open, lobo, closes, maze, favia), torch, frogspawn.
Just add slowly.
You should be able to do most corals except for most SPS.

+1
If you make a cave and overhangs you can also have the non- photosynthesis type as well like Chili, carnations, some gorgonians and sun corals… as long as you have good water flow.

vsecret

Wonderful thank you! I should get my lights in 5 days so hopefully I can go out next weekend and pick up some coral!

speg

What types of fish do you have? Also, just make sure that your water/salt has sufficient levels of nutrients/elements to keep coral happy.
For starter coral I like xenia, green/brown zoas, kenya tree leather, regular mushrooms (not yuma/fancy shrooms), frogspawn.

robertmathern

For starters for beginner corals. Stay away from corals you will regret later. If you can do them you can do all of them. What type of t5 fixture or retro did you get. How many bulbs you can do sps with them maybe a nem to. Me personally I am a mh guy but do truly love the color you can get from t5. You just dont have the shimmer you get with mh lighting but even then I was just in orlando at a lfs yesterday and saw an awesome sps tank with t5. They had some blue led fixtues in there and got the shimmer affect. It was a 24" deep tank with sps all the way to the bottom. So a 55 you can do it. If you can grow crap coral you can grow any coral. You have to have the same for all (good lighting, perfect water quality, good flow). Yes some corals are more forgiving than others but if you got it you got it. I am not saying only go with hard to grow stuff but get what you like so you dont regret it later. Your a newb and when I was there I thought the same way (but its a coral I will like it and your right you will for now). You just got to remember every coral takes room so if you fill your tank with newb corals now you will wish you had the room for better coral latter. But its just my opinion Good luck

vsecret

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to plan it out carefully on which ones I will get. I have waited a year and a half for lighting so I can wait another week or so while I plan :) I'm just happy to get something in there after so long with FOWLR

xcali1985

Although these are beginner corals I would advise you to stay away from:
Xenia
Green Star Polyps
Daisy Polyps
They grow like weeds and become more of a problem than they are worth. There are ways you can contain them. Example Put them on a rock away from everything else &/or surround them with stinging corals or mushrooms as they will inhibit the mat from spreading.
If I was to start over I would get more Zoa frags especially the really nice ones. its just my opinion but hopefully it helps. Remember one thing, we have limited space in our tanks. You want corals with moderate growth nothing to fast or it will take over an entire area of your tank. I throw away 3-4 stalks of Xenia every 2 weeks.

robertmathern

Amen bro I just got rid of the last of my Xenia but my tank got electrocuted so lots died. However I have room now lol Sounds like a joke but I want to cry.

acrylic51

Stay away from the Yellow leathers for a bit....they are a little more delicate, but the color will suck you in.....shrooms a good choice, and I like to use them as indicators in my tanks during the early periods.

flower

Originally Posted by Xcali1985
http:///forum/post/3280364
Although these are beginner corals I would advise you to stay away from:
Xenia
Green Star Polyps
Daisy Polyps
They grow like weeds and become more of a problem than they are worth. There are ways you can contain them. Example Put them on a rock away from everything else &/or surround them with stinging corals or mushrooms as they will inhibit the mat from spreading.
If I was to start over I would get more Zoa frags especially the really nice ones. its just my opinion but hopefully it helps. Remember one thing, we have limited space in our tanks. You want corals with moderate growth nothing to fast or it will take over an entire area of your tank. I throw away 3-4 stalks of Xenia every 2 weeks.

One stalk of Xenia sells for $60.00 out by me. GSP coral pulls up like a matt really easy, and also sells for about $50.00 for a small 4x4 inch piece. Zoa grows fast and you need a jackhammer to frag it. Oh how true, one man’s garbage is another man’s treasure.

xcali1985

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3280523

One stalk of Xenia sells for $60.00 out by me. GSP coral pulls up like a matt really easy, and also sells for about $50.00 for a small 4x4 inch piece. Zoa grows fast and you need a jackhammer to frag it. Oh how true, one man’s garbage is another man’s treasure.
We need to find someway for me to get them to you then. I can't stop this stuff from growing. Especially the daisy polyps. I have a colony that has to have at least 600 polyps and expanding. Encrusting 3 rocks now. I figured I would buy simple flat base rock and let them spread and make a profit off them. They don't stop growing in mine.
Xenia grows so fast it blocks the light from my Candy Canes. Im able to keep my GSP in check by placing it on an island rock. But ive been told that you can attach GSP to the glass and it will spread so im waiting on it to crawl across the substrate.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Xcali1985
http:///forum/post/3280739
We need to find someway for me to get them to you then. I can't stop this stuff from growing.
Hey if you're wanting to get rid of some :)
Question for vsecret.....You say you now have T5 lighting, but i do not see what type....how many bulbs, and what is the exact light you have?

pstock44

I have a 6 ft long, 125 gallon and recently added two 3 ft, 4 bulb (2actinic, 2 12k daylight) T5 units with blue LED moonlights. I also have a single row (2 x 3ft) T8 50/50 light along the front (this is the only light I had for quite awhile). I have slowly added xenia, yellow star polyps, several types of mushrooms, cabbage leather, torch, toadstool mushroom, derasa clam and a couple other low light critters. All are doing well and show signs of good health.
IMO the T5 lights are great!