Goodbye California, Hello Colorado Springs

yearofthenick

I submitted my letter of resignation today. I'm leaving Vacaville, CA and moving to Colorado Springs mid-January. It's gonna be awesome.
Does anyone know the best way there? I'm going U-Haul style. I was on google maps and apparently taking the 80 freeway puts me through the mountains. I am told to avoid the mountains in January. Should I take the 80 anyway?

ironeagle2006

Nick I drove OTR for 4 Years and once you get Over Donner and out of CA the roads are not normally not to bad in winter. The only other 3 you will have worry about are Parley in Utah just East of Salt Lake City but they keep it Clear. Elk Mountain in Wyoming and Sherman Hill in Wyoming also. However if you see the Trucks are taking it slow on them Watch them.
Also remember to pack the heavy items LOW in the Uhaul so you have weight low in the truck and put a few items that are heavy on the back side to get some weight on the tail. Just take your time and you ill be fine heck I did more time on I-80 in the winter than I care to think about in all kinds of weather. The Interstate to sta the HELL OFF in Winter is I-70unless you like playing at over 10K feet with major Grades and avalaches that will bury a freaking truck in a hurry,

stdreb27

I can't even imagine, I'm cold here in Corpus when it gets to 50 degrees. BTW congrads on your new job...

reefraff

If you aren't a hand at driving in the snow go down the 5 and pick up the 40 at Barstow and come across to I-25 north in New Mexico. You may see snow but probably no ice. The extra couple hundred miles are worth it.

ironeagle2006

Flag Mountain thru Flagstaff and then you have Raton Pass and then the Front Range into Colorado Springs HELL NO I would not run that way. Sorry Flag Muntain can get feet of Snow HIGH winds I would rather take 80 in the winter than 40 with the snow they can get. I have seen Flag get 3 Feet of snow when Donner is High and Dry. Winter of 98 I was in the center of CA could go either way 40 or Donner out of CA well Flag was getting hammered had 2 feet on the ground and was going to get 2 more over night Donner had 1 foot on the ground and more was falling. Donner was MAX Chains but open. Flag was Closed and going to be closed for 2 days. I made it across Donner and the rest of the way had High and DRY roads.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///t/389428/goodbye-california-hello-colorado-springs#post_3442034
Flag Mountain thru Flagstaff and then you have Raton Pass and then the Front Range into Colorado Springs HELL NO I would not run that way. Sorry Flag Muntain can get feet of Snow HIGH winds I would rather take 80 in the winter than 40 with the snow they can get. I have seen Flag get 3 Feet of snow when Donner is High and Dry. Winter of 98 I was in the center of CA could go either way 40 or Donner out of CA well Flag was getting hammered had 2 feet on the ground and was going to get 2 more over night Donner had 1 foot on the ground and more was falling. Donner was MAX Chains but open. Flag was Closed and going to be closed for 2 days. I made it across Donner and the rest of the way had High and DRY roads.
I'd take snow and wind ANY day over ice and IME you have a better shot of catching clear weather on the 40. Personally I use the 70 but I spent the last 20 years in Montana and Colorado, I like driving in snow. Long as it isn't dark. In the dark it looks like I am going into hyper space. The Raff don't drive in the snow after sunset LOL!

yearofthenick

I know this may surprise some of you, but I work at a church. I am currently the "music director" at a 1,100 member church in Vacaville, CA. It's a good church and a good job, but I was ready to move on. There is a church in Colorado Springs who contacted me about a month ago and were very interested in me from the start. They flew me out as a candidate and a week later they hired me. I move on January 15. After having spent a week in Colorado Springs (even though it was in the winter), I can say it's leaps and bounds greater than California. Can't wait to get out there.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick http:///t/389428/goodbye-california-hello-colorado-springs#post_3442763
I know this may surprise some of you, but I work at a church. I am currently the "music director" at a 1,100 member church in Vacaville, CA. It's a good church and a good job, but I was ready to move on. There is a church in Colorado Springs who contacted me about a month ago and were very interested in me from the start. They flew me out as a candidate and a week later they hired me. I move on January 15. After having spent a week in Colorado Springs (even though it was in the winter), I can say it's leaps and bounds greater than California. Can't wait to get out there.
Congratulations! I wish you all the best, are you buying a home or will you be renting? You are keeping your tank right?

yearofthenick

Flower - sadly I do not keep a tank at the moment. Part of me is thankful because it will make moving a lot easier. I placed a deposit on a rental yesterday and we'll likely live there for a year before we buy a house. I think I want to buy some land actually. That may be the first big purchase I make down there, as land can go as cheap as $5,000 for 2.5 acres.

reefraff

Property taxes are cheap too. Mine were just over a grand last year and I suspect they are a little less down in the springs. When you decide to start up a new tank there are a lot of reefers down there that will help you out.