Got a taste of Affirmative Action

reefraff

I remember back in high school they were taking a race survey. They asked about Hispanic and about half of the "mexicans" (low riding pants and white T shirts) raised their hands. When the coach said that included Italians the rest raised their hands. Ahhh to be young and ignorant again

stevedave08

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3189460
I have a friend with a darker complexion than most and up here in maine, while african ancestry and other ethnic diversities are becoming more and more common there is still a lot of racism and bigotry one of his favorite questions to answer is "what do you like to be called?" he simply answers "Greg" and they often ask "no I mean do you like to be called, black, african american, or what" and again he answers "I like to be called, Greg."
somepeople play the affirmative action thing as hard as they can. and yet others think everything should be about race or use rtace as a justification for anything.
in a recent problem greg had at work he had injured his back while working and could no longer tile floors, he has notes from both his doctor and physical therapist, telling his bosses that he could not work bent over for extended amounts of time. anyone who has ever laid tile knows how devastating it is on the back and knees to tile. there was plenty of other things he could do on that job but tiling was out. so they terminated him for refusing to lay tile. this is illeagle, and he is pursuing the appropriate measures with the department of labor, and one person (who is caucasian and who shall remain nameless) was sort of involved in the conversation we were having about it asked "why dont you bring in the fact that your black and it was probably racially motivated"
greg simply shook his head and stated "maybe I just like to be different, I'm in the right to refuse work my doctors say will exacerbate my injury. trying to play the race card will just muddy the waters and its not about that, its about getting fired for getting injured and being unable to do the work that they want, I can do other stuff on that project but I cant do that."
the other person seemed at a loss as to why he wouldnt use the race card as an ace in the hole. and greg gave up trying to explain that just because he is black doesnt mean everything is about race......
a little off topic but you see how racism and reverse racism can stem from anydirection
I'm definitely in agreement with Greg on his stance and not bringing race into the situation when it obviously has nothing to do with it. Sounds like his employer was just a deeck. I'm a minority too, but I don't try to advance myself by claiming I'm held back by being Cuban-American. I hate when people exploit their race to gain pity.
I really don't experience much racism here in Miami because it's full of hispanics, but I've sure experienced it in North Carolina and Virginia, that's for sure.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3189460
I have a friend with a darker complexion than most and up here in maine, while african ancestry and other ethnic diversities are becoming more and more common there is still a lot of racism and bigotry one of his favorite questions to answer is "what do you like to be called?" he simply answers "Greg" and they often ask "no I mean do you like to be called, black, african american, or what" and again he answers "I like to be called, Greg."
somepeople play the affirmative action thing as hard as they can. and yet others think everything should be about race or use rtace as a justification for anything.
in a recent problem greg had at work he had injured his back while working and could no longer tile floors, he has notes from both his doctor and physical therapist, telling his bosses that he could not work bent over for extended amounts of time. anyone who has ever laid tile knows how devastating it is on the back and knees to tile. there was plenty of other things he could do on that job but tiling was out. so they terminated him for refusing to lay tile. this is illeagle, and he is pursuing the appropriate measures with the department of labor, and one person (who is caucasian and who shall remain nameless) was sort of involved in the conversation we were having about it asked "why dont you bring in the fact that your black and it was probably racially motivated"
greg simply shook his head and stated "maybe I just like to be different, I'm in the right to refuse work my doctors say will exacerbate my injury. trying to play the race card will just muddy the waters and its not about that, its about getting fired for getting injured and being unable to do the work that they want, I can do other stuff on that project but I cant do that."
the other person seemed at a loss as to why he wouldnt use the race card as an ace in the hole. and greg gave up trying to explain that just because he is black doesnt mean everything is about race......
a little off topic but you see how racism and reverse racism can stem from anydirection
wow, it is really too bad, stand up people are hard to come by. To bad his employeer doesn't realize that.

oscardeuce

Originally Posted by SteveDave08
http:///forum/post/3188714
It's not about not being smart enough. Affirmative action was put in place because too many actually intelligent and capable people who just happenned to be minorities were turned down because of where they came from or the color of their skin. Now, does it benefit idiots who are too dumb to make it otherwise? Yes, it'll get some people who are undeserving/dumb into certain schools, but if you're really that dumb, you won't be able to hack it anyway and you'll have to leave after you're on academic probation all the time.

Not really. When I was in med school, some minorities had free tutors and 5 years to do the work the rest of us were expected to do in 4 years. The 5 year plan was the same cost as a 4 year plan.
I was on the med school acceptance committee, and I know people were there not by the content of their character, but rather the color of their skin ( or genitalia).

reefraff

Originally Posted by oscardeuce
http:///forum/post/3190356
Not really. When I was in med school, some minorities had free tutors and 5 years to do the work the rest of us were expected to do in 4 years. The 5 year plan was the same cost as a 4 year plan.
I was on the med school acceptance committee, and I know people were there not by the content of their character, but rather the color of their skin ( or genitalia).
And I don't really think there is any justification for that in this day and age unless the particular institution has been found to be discriminating in the recent past.