Got my first anemone

bacffin

Hi everyone

It's been a while since my last post and I just wanted to share my pics of the bubble tip I picked up yesterday. The tank is 2 years old now and well established.
When I put him in the tank, it took him two hours to work his way down the rock to where is now and has been there ever since. I fed him this morning some mysis shrimp and he ate well.
I believe he is healthy, but could I get some other opinions? Does he look kind of white?
Thanks,
Bruce

marinebgnr

Originally Posted by Bacffin
Hi everyone

It's been a while since my last post and I just wanted to share my pics of the bubble tip I picked up yesterday. The tank is 2 years old now and well established.
When I put him in the tank, it took him two hours to work his way down the rock to where is now and has been there ever since. I fed him this morning some mysis shrimp and he ate well.
I believe he is healthy, but could I get some other opinions? Does he look kind of white?
Thanks,
Bruce
looks awwwwesome an very healthy what size tank and what tyype of lighting

bacffin

Thanks marinebgnr.

It's a 45 gallon with 192 watt power compact from coralife. The BTA looked more neon green at the lfs and it might be the lighting that is casting a white hue. Also, it is time for me to change the bulbs again. They are on order and might make a difference.
Now if I can just get the clown fish to even take an interest, that would be sweet.

bacffin

I have a question regarding the feeding. I read somewhere that if you feed anemones more frequent, they tend to split more. Is this correct?
Thanks,
Bruce

renogaw

can try the pictures of the clowns hosting an anenome taped to the glass, has worked for some people here. it is a very beautiful anenome!

bacffin

Do I need help here? Or is this normal behavior? An hour ago the BTA was all happy in full bloom and now it is all tucked up under the rock. Anyone know why?
renogaw, Already have the picture taped to the glass but the clown fish stay away from the picture...go figure!

puffer32

Not sure if your lighting is strong enough, he does look sorta faded, but so does mine, at least thats what i was told here when i posted a pic of him, but he was same color at the lfs. I have him under some strong T5's, so I know its got enough light.

cjml

Do I need help here? Or is this normal behavior? An hour ago the BTA was all happy in full bloom and now it is all tucked up under the rock. Anyone know why?
renogaw, Already have the picture taped to the glass but the clown fish stay away from the picture...go figure!
They will do that after they have eaten-it is normal. Continue to feed mysis and silversides and he will grow very big and split as long as your water quality is good. We have 4 now- and we started with one little frail one and he split 3 times after a good feeding program. We do not have MH lights..Heres a few pics-and these came from one smaller then yours-3years ago.....

deelucky

i dont know why ppl insist that you must have mh to keep an anenome.as long as you have an established system and atleast vho you'll be good to go.not saying that success is will happen because ppl do tend to add anenomes to newly set up tanks but here is 2 anenomes one is my rbta with my clowns and a friends with a green carpet.note my rbta is under t-5s(nova extreme 24" 96w)

mryoung7

i hate to rain on your parade but that anemone is very bleached. i thought it was a sebae anemone at first just because of the color. it's not transparent, which is the worst but it is very very pale. a bubble tip (regular, not rose) should have at least a tint of brown.
it looks like it could recover with strong enough lighting. i hope you're able to bring it back to health. they're great additions!
below is mine. i have power compact lighting and he's quadrupled in size since i got him.

cjml

Originally Posted by mryoung7
i hate to rain on your parade but that anemone is very bleached. i thought it was a sebae anemone at first just because of the color. it's not transparent, which is the worst but it is very very pale. a bubble tip (regular, not rose) should have at least a tint of brown.
it looks like it could recover with strong enough lighting. i hope you're able to bring it back to health. they're great additions!
below is mine. i have power compact lighting and he's quadrupled in size since i got him.
Yes it might be a little on the pale side -but looks healthy otherwise- if its fed well and water is good it should be ok-ours was frailer then that one and survived hurricanes and power outages and with good feeding-mysis and silversides and water changes it did quite well! It adapted to our water quality and has split 3 times. :happyfish :happyfish

mryoung7

Originally Posted by cjml
Yes it might be a little on the pale side -but looks healthy otherwise- if its fed well and water is good it should be ok-ours was frailer then that one and survived hurricanes and power outages and with good feeding-mysis and silversides and water changes it did quite well! It adapted to our water quality and has split 3 times. :happyfish :happyfish
yes, other than being bleached, it looks good. the shriveling is pretty normal. but i'd disagree with you that it just needs to be fed and given good water quality. the water quality goes without saying but it needs strong light much more than it needs any solid foods. an anemone can go weeks without solid food; not recommended, but not as important as lighting.

cjml

Also google anemone - there is alot of good information on feeding,different types, etc.....

cjml

yes, other than being bleached, it looks good. the shriveling is pretty normal. but i'd disagree with you that it just needs to be fed and given good water quality. the water quality goes without saying but it needs strong light much more than it needs any solid foods. an anemone can go weeks without solid food; not recommended, but not as important as lighting.
I certainly am not an expert I just know that mine have done well with the lighting we have no mh-maybe we were just lucky and they have adapted? I leave it to the experts!!! In fact during Ivan the little thing hid behind a rock and we did not see it for awhile (we thought he was a gonner)and then he came around where we could see him and we started feeding mysis and he grew!! Then started silversides and he really grew and split! So who knows??? :notsure: :notsure:

deelucky

can you prove that an anenome needs more light than food?i mean i know were not going to keep an anenome with a no output light,but feeding is a major factor along with strong lightingnot trying to start a debate because your right but imo i would feed more being i have t-5 and not mh.its like no food but lots of air,see my point.

mryoung7

Originally Posted by deelucky
can you prove that an anenome needs more light than food?i mean i know were not going to keep an anenome with a no output light,but feeding is a major factor along with strong lightingnot trying to start a debate because your right but imo i would feed more being i have t-5 and not mh.its like no food but lots of air,see my point.
i'm no anemone expert either so i try to keep good books around and learn from guys like thomas & viper. but, since you asked for a reputable source, i looked up the matter in the conscientious marine aquarist by robert fenner.
"Many anemone losses in captive systems are the result of overfeeding. Some anemones have been kept for years without any intentional external feeding. Know your stock. Many anemones -- especially larger species -- are detrivorous, filterers of small plankton, and use photosynthetic algae. Hobbyists try to overstuff them with meaty, prepared foods. Don't do this. If someone has told you to feed your anemone a jumbo coctail shrimp every other day, find yourself another advisor. Within normal temperatures and other conditions, most anemones can and do well on once-a-week feedings. If you're going on vacation, leave them alone. They will do fine for a week or even two."
so there's why i think feeding isn't as important. still, i feed mine around once a week and, i think you're right, it's a big boost to their growth.
as for the importance of light, i think that's pretty obvious. an anemone can die in a matter of days without proper lighting. i'm not saying 'it has to be mh'. mine's power compact and my anemone looks to be thriving.
good points all around - i just stress it because i want the op to be certain that he has adequate lighting. good luck, bruce.

puffer32

So heres a question for the semi or expert anenome owners. I was told my anenome is bleached, but thats how he looked when I got him, only had him a month. I made sure he was on the highest rock under 8 T5 bulbs. He moved down 3 times lower and in a shaded spot, so I gave up. If it requires more light, and I have it but he insists on less, is it trying to commit suicide or what? :notsure: