Got Some New Fish

thumpco

Hey I got some new fish yesterday I got a yellow clown goby and 2 blue/green chromis. I woke up this morning and 1 chromis was dead, the other is fine- he even ate some mysis this morning. Also, the clown goby,I know they like to stay on the downlow, but how am I supposed to know if he is eating- will he come out for it? ooh also, does he eat food off the bottom?

meowzer

The clown gobies will eat from all over.....they will dart in and out of areas....and hang out all over too...LOL....I like watching mine when it just sits on the aquarium glass.....

snakeblitz33

I don't think chromis ship well at all. Sorry for the loss.
Clown gobies are pretty neat. They are not active feeders, but more passive. They will wait for something to settle before eating it. They go everywhere and perch regularly.

thumpco

When you say ship you mean to the store? -I'm pretty sure you do b/c I don't order fish online. Yeah my clown goby has been chilling. Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/389862/got-some-new-fish#post_3448489
I don't think chromis ship well at all. Sorry for the loss.
Clown gobies are pretty neat. They are not active feeders, but more passive. They will wait for something to settle before eating it. They go everywhere and perch regularly.

snakeblitz33

Yes, to he store. Plus, most chromis are caught via cyanide and they don't last long after being caught. Those that live do well though, if hey can handle the after effects of cyanide poisoning.
When algae starts to appear and your tank gets dirty quick. Or it exceeds your filtration capacity. Or there is too much aggression. Etc. etc.

thumpco

Hmm, I hope mine lasts. Also, filtration capacity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/389862/got-some-new-fish#post_3448499
Yes, to he store. Plus, most chromis are caught via cyanide and they don't last long after being caught. Those that live do well though, if hey can handle the after effects of cyanide poisoning.
When algae starts to appear and your tank gets dirty quick. Or it exceeds your filtration capacity. Or there is too much aggression. Etc. etc.

snakeblitz33

I define filtration capacity as the ability of your filtration to handle the overall bioload to keep nutrients low enough to prevent problem algaes and bacterias.