Got The 75 Baby!!

emperor11

Whoop! Whoop! WOW..I am so excited. I've been waiting for this for so long. Picked it up for 50 bucks. Well, it was an early birthday gift that cost 50 bucks, but you all get the idea. Yep. Thats right. 50 George Washingmachines.
However, here's my dillemma (sp?). My parents are getting a divorce, and as a "side effect" of that, I am not in one place much, and I had to give up my paper route(main way of getting money for fish). So, I really can't afford the upkeep (cost of salt and chemicals, and everything else..)on the 55, let alone the 75. Right now the 75 is sitting in the garage, waiting to be cleaned up. I am debating between whether or not to do SW in it. I am thinking about doing some FW teacup stingrays (the little guys), and some wild angels, and what not, or doing SW. I really don't know at this point. But, I'll keep you guys updated. I'll try to post some pics later. Oh, and it has a modified brace..its glass instead of plastic, so its REALLY strong.

jam1e

IMO make it SW .. skrue FW .. the colors are a lot more colorful in saltwater . later

emperor11

If I do, do FW in the 75 (cool FW..wild angels, stingrays, etc) then I will set up a 20 gallon HIGH nano with SW. I'd go through salt and chemicals a whole lot slower then, and the hobby may be more affordable for me.

jam1e

oh ... well if you're on a tight budget I guess so . where do you get your income from now if you're only 13?

emperor11

Originally Posted by Jam1e
oh ... well if you're on a tight budget I guess so . where do you get your income from now if you're only 13?
I explained it in my first post. I used to be a paper boy, which made affording the hobby easy. Then my parents got divorced, and I was forced to give it up, because I wasn't at any one place much, and I'm still not.

jam1e

oh .. sorry man . I didn't read it close enough .. but I know how you feel .. I used to hate going back and forth back when I was younger .. since my parents had a divorce also .. but .. yeah .. sorry .. later

emperor11

Thanks. I REALLY don't know what to do with the 75. I really want to do both things....in the same tank.

fedukeford

if it was me, id set up the 75 as a SW tank, and mabey the 55 as a FW tank, you wouldnt really have to use ANY chemicals in your tank, i dont use any in my 55 reef and its just fine...

emperor11

Originally Posted by Jam1e
you could make a divider making the one tank into two tanks
There wouldn't be enough room for the stuff...plus I don't think you can have salt on one side and fresh on the other. I've gotta choose which one..

emperor11

Originally Posted by fedukeford
if it was me, id set up the 75 as a SW tank, and mabey the 55 as a FW tank, you wouldnt really have to use ANY chemicals in your tank, i dont use any in my 55 reef and its just fine...
The problem is..I already have minimal lighting (160 watts of NO fluorescent lighting on my 55), and I'd have to buy bigger and better lights for the 75..where is that money going to come from?
Plus, you really have to buy the buckets to "save" money on a tank this size, but the buckets around here are like 47.99. AND, I still don't have an RO unit. In FW, plants like the tap water, and if I did a 20 gallon salt tank, it would be small enough where it would be affordable to buy RO water. So, basically, I'm weighing the pro's and con's of each right now.

payton 350

i'd say go with the freshwater for now and do the 20 sw.....that seems to be what you are leaning towards.....money is always an issue and this way the tanks can get your full attention and needs rather than skimping and taking shortcuts on stuff......plus your 13 and are gonna be going out with friends and whatnot...so enjoy your teens and just do what is not going to give you the biggest headache ....and have fun!@!

reefdude37

GO WITH SALTWATER. Sell the 160 watt light and use some of that money to buy a better light. I would take one step at a time like, buy the protein skimmer this week, salt the next, etc, etc. Then, sooner or later you would have everything you need and you could set that bad boy up. I know it is killing you and you want to set it up soon, but it will be worth it if you are patient.

am3gross

i like to think that sw is the best for the poor man. ..... let me explain....most of us that have money feel the need to go out every weekend to get something new for the tank.. at least i do..... well for the poor man he cant do this and is forced to take his time when doing stuff to his tank which i think would make a better established tank. time is the key i think in this hobby and if your funds are limited then it will force you to go slow. in my opionion do the sw. i think you would be delaying the inevitable by going with th fw.

lion_crazz

That is a good choice if you ask me!
You would not be able to do freshwater stingrays in a 75 anyway. Although, a a low pH freshwater tank is always nice. I love angels, rams, kribs, apistos, clown loaches, cardinal tetras, etc. They always make for a nice tank. When you do those fish though, you nearly have to do a planted tank, so you will need to get good lighting anyway.