Gravity Skimmer...help please

thedj

I will soon be placing a 50 gallon tub(from Target) as a sump in my crawl space. The distance from the top of tanks water to the bottom of the crawl space would be approx 8'. I would think that with all of that head a DIY skimmer would be key. But how to use up all of that free water presure? Maybe downdraft, maybe counter current? I dont know enough about skimmers to make a proper decicion. Thoughts and Ideas would great. My return pump is rio2400 that pushes about 750 gph. I may up grade to a mag 9.5, but that cost $$$. For now I will work with the rio.
Please post ideas.
Ian
:confused: :help:

bang guy

Yep, but I don't think it will work with a crawl space unless you dig a hole to put the skimmer into. To be effective you need three things:
A long drop to build pressure
Air being mixed with the water as it overflow from the display
A tall skimmer to allow a long time for contact time
Mine is a counter current design and that seems to be really simple but it's 4 feet tall.

thedj

Would a "T" work for supplying a counter current skimmer? If I used control valves to limit the flow into the skimmer with a luft air pump suppling the air? Would that be enough head? I am currently build a 4" 4' tall skimmer and dont want to use any water pumps if possible. I have build a euroreef style of skimmer and am unpleased with the results, so I thought I would go to a counter current. I dont see the point of so much power in a little skimmer. Therefore I research a more productive skimmer and found a counter current. So If I can feed this skimmer with the drop I would then be accomplishing two goals. One less power drain, and two more effecient(sp?) skimming. Im rambling...
Side note, I have 48" to work with in my crawl space. Extremely easy to access from inside the house.

bang guy

Then it just might work but it's still only a 4' drop from your water line to the top of the skimmer. A few 90 degree corners at the bottom and you might not need additional airstones but more bubbles won't hurt.
It could work. A 4' crawlspace wasn't what I envisioned when I answered.

thedj

Originally posted by Bang Guy
A few 90 degree corners at the bottom and you might not need additional airstones but more bubbles won't hurt.

How would you incorporate a 90 degree to add more bubbles?

bang guy

A mixture of water and air falling a long drop followed by a couple of 90 degree turns mixes the air into microbubbles in my experience.

thedj

I think a airstones would still be required, or better yet a Slipxslipxfm"T". Cap the Female and insert an air line. I think its a venturi only using gravity instead of a pump. Probably could attach a couple of T to acheive proper air mixture. I think I was reading another thread on this?!? cannot remember.