Green Algae allover my Sand . HELP PLEASE !

ivasawajin

i have green cyno looking algae on my sand , its just like cyno but its green , it only on my sand and it comes when the lights come on and when i wipe in out it comes in a few hours and my PO4 is close to zero , NO3 close to zero, my circulation in very high and i dont have dead spots and i dont overfeed and my bulbs are 2 months old and my tank is 550G and i have 3 super skimmers . WHATS WRONG HERE ???
its ONLY on my sand and its green but looks and feels like cyno . HELP is needed .

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvasawaJin http:///t/391931/green-algae-allover-my-sand-help-please#post_3478013
i have green cyno looking algae on my sand , its just like cyno but its green , it only on my sand and it comes when the lights come on and when i wipe in out it comes in a few hours and my PO4 is close to zero , NO3 close to zero, my circulation in very high and i dont have dead spots and i dont overfeed and my bulbs are 2 months old and my tank is 550G and i have 3 super skimmers . WHATS WRONG HERE ???
its ONLY on my sand and its green but looks and feels like cyno . HELP is needed .
How long has the tank been established? New tanks go thru all kinds of changes...you might just have to up your CUC.
I'm pretty sure all algae blooms like what you discribe feeds on phosphates and you get a false negative reading on any tests. On such a nice big tank you might benefit from a phosphate reactor if that's the case.

ivasawajin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/391931/green-algae-allover-my-sand-help-please#post_3478015
How long has the tank been established? New tanks go thru all kinds of changes...you might just have to up your CUC.
I'm pretty sure all algae blooms like what you discribe feeds on phosphates and you get a false negative reading on any tests. On such a nice big tank you might benefit from a phosphate reactor if that's the case.
my CUC is like an army ( 60 turbo snails , 10 some other snails , 20 hermit crabs , 9 cleaner shrimps ) ..
my tank is 3 months old but my LR were all cured from a very established tank . i think my RO unit needs a check cuz it just tested the PO4 on it and it was more than 3 !!!! can anyone tell me what part of a RO unit reduces PO4 ?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvasawaJin http:///t/391931/green-algae-allover-my-sand-help-please#post_3478030
my CUC is like an army ( 60 turbo snails , 10 some other snails , 20 hermit crabs , 9 cleaner shrimps ) ..
my tank is 3 months old but my LR were all cured from a very established tank . i think my RO unit needs a check cuz it just tested the PO4 on it and it was more than 3 !!!! can anyone tell me what part of a RO unit reduces PO4 ?
Hi,
I only have a 90g tank and I have 80 margarita snails and 30 black nassarius snails (cold water) and I plan to add more. With your size tank (550g) you need lots more for a CUC to be effective.
No RO unit will reduce or keep PO4 in check, you need a phosphate reactor for that. Cleaner shrimps do not clean the tank...eat extra food maybe, but what they do is clean parasites off your fish. Have a look at the preset CUC the site offers to get an idea of how large a CUC needs to be for a 550g tank.

reefkprz

if the water coming out of your RO/.di has pohosphate you need to replace your DI resin thats that part that removes phosphate, IF you dont have a DI resin on your unit then you should consider adding another canister.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkprZ http:///t/391931/green-algae-allover-my-sand-help-please#post_3478149
if the water coming out of your RO/.di has pohosphate you need to replace your DI resin thats that part that removes phosphate, IF you dont have a DI resin on your unit then you should consider adding another canister.
I had no idea that phosphates were cleared thru the RO system...I learn something new everyday. I thought phosphates came from the food we fed the fish.

reefkprz

a lot of phosphates are introduced that way but your RO unit can remove it from your top off and water change water as long as there is a DI resin. without the DI resin any ammonia or phosphates in your make up water will go through the RO and be introduced to the tank.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkprZ http:///t/391931/green-algae-allover-my-sand-help-please#post_3478193
a lot of phosphates are introduced that way but your RO unit can remove it from your top off and water change water as long as there is a DI resin. without the DI resin any ammonia or phosphates in your make up water will go through the RO and be introduced to the tank.
...is that the difference between an RO unit and an RO/DI?

bang guy

Some of the smaller molecules like Phosphates & Silicates can make it through some RO membranes. There are Hi-S membranes where this is reduced but just adding a DI will clean these up more effectively.

ivasawajin

I only have an RO unit , damn ... then i must change it to a WAYYY better RO/DI unit cuz in had PO4 issues for years and my new tank is 550G and it takes around 4-5 gallons top of PER DAY .

btldreef

30 large fish would be an issue, so Snake is correct in asking the stock list.
You say that your phosphate test is "close to zero." that's not zero. You want/need zero phosphates to combat an algae issue. That being said, you can get a false zero reading if you have algae that's eating it.
Sounds like you need a better water source. Adding a DI resin canister might be an option depending on the type of unit you have. Running a Phosphate reactor on the tank would be a big help. But if your RO has phosphate, you're just adding phosphate to the tank and it'll be a never ending battle.
I definitely agree with Flower about your clean up crew. It's inadequate for that size tank. You should look into some Nassarius and Cerith snails. They're great sand suffers and can help keep the sand clean.

ivasawajin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/391931/green-algae-allover-my-sand-help-please#post_3479290
30 large fish would be an issue, so Snake is correct in asking the stock list.
You say that your phosphate test is "close to zero." that's not zero. You want/need zero phosphates to combat an algae issue. That being said, you can get a false zero reading if you have algae that's eating it.
Sounds like you need a better water source. Adding a DI resin canister might be an option depending on the type of unit you have. Running a Phosphate reactor on the tank would be a big help. But if your RO has phosphate, you're just adding phosphate to the tank and it'll be a never ending battle.
I definitely agree with Flower about your clean up crew. It's inadequate for that size tank. You should look into some Nassarius and Cerith snails. They're great sand suffers and can help keep the sand clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///t/391931/green-algae-allover-my-sand-help-please#post_3479206
Stock list?
most of the fish are small at the moment . the funny thing here is that no one know what DI is here in this country , everywhere there are 500$ 7 stage RO units but no RO/DI untis . and the tap water is like sewer goo . i have 2 Phosban 550 and one 150 reactors . i dont have that much of algae in the tank except on the sand . its kinda of inevitable here . i use chemicals and phosphate sponges and medias but still no luck .

btldreef

"Small at the moment" doesn't say much. 30 fish, is still 30 fish. and it's dependent on what types of fish they are. Some produce much more waste than others, like herbivores.
Why not just order an RO/DI online?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvasawaJin http:///t/391931/green-algae-allover-my-sand-help-please#post_3479195
no i have around 30 now but my tank is 550G so its not THAT of a overload . i think its 580G ... and doing a 15% water change is really a pain in the *** .
I would add a phosphate reactor and an Aquaripure filter (basically an indirect vodka doser). If your tap water is goo. I would add a water softener and a prefilter online BEFORE the water even reaches the RO/DI unit to try and save the filters from being swapped out so often. I have lived with horrible well water, I feel your pain.

ivasawajin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/391931/green-algae-allover-my-sand-help-please#post_3479546
"Small at the moment" doesn't say much. 30 fish, is still 30 fish. and it's dependent on what types of fish they are. Some produce much more waste than others, like herbivores.
Why not just order an RO/DI online?
HAHAHHAHAHA ... funny . i live in iran brother , its sanctioned by the US and Europe and the rest of the world , THERE ARE NO ONLINE SITE that ships to iran and a unit its too big for a friend or a family member to bring . you cant even login to paypal or EVEN ebay from this country . a $12 bacteria bottle is around $40 here and a standard payment for a month is less than $500.

acrylic51

Tagging along.....Would love to know the actual stock list of the 30 fish......Small in a 580 gallon tank......Don't think it would be a major issue if they are small and doing 15% water changes weekly.......As far as CUC......I think some of you guys way over pack or over stress a huge CUC......Just my .02