green algae ?

ibanez

Probably because they have plenty of food elsewhere, you could probably use a couple more. They usually get up there at night, and you can see their mouth tracks.

xcali1985

Sounds like a diatom bloom, there are a lot of theroies on what to do. Me personally I just let the CUC do its work and didn't scrub it at all. Others wipe it daily to remove it. In my honest opinion. Diatoms feed on nutrients, so if you let them exaust the nutrients no more diatoms.

drsteve2001

not sure if this is a diathom boom, tank has been up and running for almost a year minus about 5 months ago coverted to sand from CC. this is green and is very hard to scrub off..maybe because i waited to long to scrub it.
Is there any particular snail that prefers the glass?

lol

Do you have a phosphate reading? Have you checked your TDS readings on your top off water? Have you switched the type of salt you use? Did something die in your tank to increase phosphate and nitrate levels?

meowzer

It could be green coraline too.....
I don't mess with the back of my tank. I have too much to do with the other 3 sides LOL
What type of snails do you have? Astrea, and nerites seem to like the glass in my tanks

drsteve2001

Originally Posted by lol
http:///forum/post/3243175
Do you have a phosphate reading? Have you checked your TDS readings on your top off water? Have you switched the type of salt you use? Did something die in your tank to increase phosphate and nitrate levels?
Phospahte reading were 0, along with nitrates, have not checked tds readings but i use distilled water.
it probably is green coraline

shyshko08

Originally Posted by drsteve2001
http:///forum/post/3243157
not sure if this is a diathom boom, tank has been up and running for almost a year minus about 5 months ago coverted to sand from CC. this is green and is very hard to scrub off..maybe because i waited to long to scrub it.
Is there any particular snail that prefers the glass?
It most likely green Coraline algae, which will soon turn pink/purple if you leave it alone.
Some like it on the glass, other don't. Its up to you if you want to keep it there.

xcali1985

Turn off powerheads and scrape it off. Leave the powerheads off for about 30 minutes after and let the coraline spores attach to the rocks. Then turn them back on. IN a few weeks youll start to see more and more on your rocks.