Green bugs

salty star

I have these little 1/16 th of inch green flat bugs that look like little bats on the glass at the bottom of the tank. They really like the coners and one corner on the LS it is covered. No current in this corner.:confused:!!! If I clean them off they look like a worm in the water. I have a 75 gal reef tank many coral. 30 gal sump, wet dry, classic berlin skimmer, 2500 rio return pump and 2 250 MH 2 110 vhos for light lights are on 10hrsMH 14 vho everything is good but the little green things. What do I need to get to eat them. Have over fifty red and bule crabs two coral banded shrimp two camel shrimp. one pistol shrimp. Over 40 snails of all kinds. 150lbs LR. 150lbs. LS 2 tangs, gobie, 2 clowns, 2 chromis, need help to get rid of them.:confused:

bang guy

Other than color, do they look like this pic? Pay close attention to the number of lobes on the back end. Do yours have 2 or 3?

nacl-h2o

Yes, those are the dreaded flat worms. Their colors vary from red to orange to brown and to green or mixtures of those colors.

fishhooked

I am sorry to hear about your flatworm problem. I have them in my tank as well. Almost nothing eats them, you can try to luck out with a mandarine or a six-line. One will eat them another won't, my six-line won't. It looks like they are still small in number in your tank, I would try to eliminate them by hand. The prognosis is somehwhat grim I'm afraid. Good luck, if you have any success getting rid of these things please let me know how you did it.
Here are a few of the replies that I got to this problem:
Originally posted by Tang_man_Montreal
fishhooked,
You, (like me), are outta luck.
All the searching I've done regarding these darn pests points to it not being controllable.
Some people say Six-line Wrasses and/or Mandarins work. Some say they don't.
There's a species of Nudibranch that might work, but doesn't last long enough in a tank, especially since it needs a tank with NO water movement.
Some say they tried an additive called Oomed, with varied side-effects. But Oomed is no longer available on the market.
Hyposalinity, No.. don't work.
High alk, maybe, but for the most part, no.
There's research pointing to a Sargassium shrimp that eats these damn Red flatworms, but these shrimp are seasonal (spring), and hand harvested in the gulf of mexico, and not commercially available.
So what do you do? You tell me. Apparently these things come and go, like tides. They appear where's there's low water circulation, and high light. You could try the wrasse or mandarin route, and if you're lucky, maybe, just maybe, you'll get one that eats these suckers.
Other than that, you could fresh water dip your rock for 30 secs. It will kill the flatworms, but also kill the coraline algae on the rock. BUT, you'll still have worms appear back on the rock since they are also in the SAND...
so basically, there's no answer that I've found. I personally am going to try the wrasse and maybe a mandarin. Other than that, you can sit back and "enjoy" your new tank inhabitants, cause like me and many other people, you're stuck with them.

Originally posted by sammystingray

Copper will kill them, but many good things with them........might be worth it.......add a couple good rocks later to repopulate the rocks.......nothing, and I mean NOTHING will eat them into non-existence. hypo perhaps??? I personally would try to completely rid the tank and get it over with.........everything must be treated aside from fish if they can be removed.........the entire tank.........you can't leave even a few to rid the tank oif them entirely obviously. It started from a few right??????? so you can't leave a few to do it again later. I hate to hear these stories.........you don't have to do anything I advise......it's just opinions. It really depends on how bad they are, and how bad you want them gone.

fishhooked

From what I have heard they can cause problems with some corals and clams in larger numbers. In my tank they seem to have wiped out all other life in the substrate. They are also terribly unsightly.

salty star

Thank you for the bad and the good news. I have many coral attached to the rock and there is no way dipping is going to work. Guess I have to work with them. Can you have more then one six line? :(

fishhooked

Based on my experiances with a six-line I would say no. For a while I had a dark mirror behind the tank, at the time I just had a Oscallaris clown and the six-line. The clown didn't seem to mind it but the six-line freaked out at the sight of his reflection. I would assume that putting two together would be bad news.

killyah

just wondering how do u get them bugs in ur tank? do they just show up or what? i wouldnt mine having them L:D L... send me some :p

nacl-h2o

They hitchike in on corals or LR. And then spread quikly. Requiring little more than light. It's unknown what they eat, but they have algae in there tissue, they use like corals.

can you scoop em out of your tank and put them in a jar and later feed them to the anenome? Might be a good source of food for him? I dunno, i know nothing about these guys at all.

bang guy

Originally posted by salty star
I just called a reef store and they said green chromis would help if I get three or more. Guess it a worth trying.

I've seen my Green Chromis eat them, but only from the water column. I've never seen them pick them off the rock or glass.
These things are mostly harmless but very unsightly. They are photosynthetic and can be lured toward a light. Their main source of protein is Copepods.