green hair algae prob

btwk12

my buddy has a 180 gal tank that he slacked off on the maintenence. his tank is pretty much taken over by GHA. so i went over there and helped him for a couple hours. i put some filter pad in the sump so it could pick up all the stuff we stirred up. and we also put some phosban in the sump. then we cleaned the sump completely out and kept stirring stuff up so the filter could catch it. we also did the same thing in the main tank. the whole time we were catching as much as we could with a net and the rest was getting caught by the filter pad. now what happened after we did all this is what i amk asking about. his ph dropped to as low as 7.0 and every one of his fish died over night! i just don't know why the ph would drop that much. is it because all the algae dying off? i figured we might get an ammonia spike but i def did not expect all this to happen.

bang guy

It will undoubtably cause a castrophic PH drop. In addition, a bacteria bloom from all the newly exposed nutrients can put a double whammy on the fish.