Green Moray EEL needs a new home

camar0

hello all,
first time member....
i have a 250 gallon fish tank and looking to repopulate it with different fish
however i have to sell my green moray eel, he is approx 3-5ft long and very heathly
taking offers at this time, get with me ASAp!!!
P.S. can offer pics to those who are interested....
thanks!

ophiura

Do you have any big aquarium nearby? They might be interested (usually in a donation though). But you may have trouble finding someone with the room for it.

requiem

I am currently seting a 2700 gallon aquarium up, and I would be willing to take it of your hand if it need a home. Except the aquarium will not be done for 3 weeks or so.
outher ?'s where do you live?
REQUIEM

jer4916

where are you located.....im almost done setting up my 125 gallon
how aggressive is your eel?
thanks
~chris

ophiura

Originally Posted by requiem
any-thing under 400 gallons is to small.
Absolutely agreed...no way in a 125 or even a 200 at this size, and from the sound it is not full grown yet. In a 125 you will almost certainly find it dried out on the floor, which I assure you is not a pleasant thing.
One of the reasons I don't like to see this sort of eel for sale at some LFS

fishieness

they have one at my LFS and have for a while. its grown, and is only in a 40 gallon. Its probably 1.5-2 feet now.
in like feb i went to the tampa aquarium and they had this huuuuuuuuuuge tank. Probably over 100,000 gallons and there were tons of fish, lookdown, groupers, you name it. But there was also one of these puppies that was about 4-5 feet long and as fat as a football, probably a soccerball. It was realy cool

camar0

the eel is currently in a 250 gallon aquarium
in the tank with it are 2 lion fish (large), 2 cowfish (large) and 1-2 groupers (small)
eel is pretty docile as long as he is fed :)
i live close to orlando, FL
anyone interested email me at camar0@cfl.rr.com (0=zero)

gfk

hook up requiem his tank is pretty sweet. how you gonna catch it, id be scared of it lol

pitbull01

I am with GFK, how will u catch that bad boy? I remember flipping out when I had to catch my full grown, super aggressive snowflake out of the tank....YUCK!!! Let me tell you, no more eels for me, ever seen one moving around on your bedroom floor? Let me tell ya, u dont want to!!!

tthemadd1

Why dont you put the eel in a cooler and take it to the beach, drip acclimate it and then release it into the ocean. I bet it would survive....

pitbull01

I think I agree with Tthemadd1. Although I am strongly against releasing fish into the wild, I think this is one of those cases where that may be necessary. After all, some public aquarium realeased a great white into the wild.
-Adam

ophiura

There is no time that you should release an animal to the wild! It is very irreponsible...if you can not find a home for it (again, have you tried any public aquaria or something) you are obligated to kill it. The things are generally hand fed which is one issue, but they also are potentially exposed to pathogens that could be released in to the wild. Please do not release it into the wild if it was even a consideration.
The great white that was released was in a pacific ecosystem tank that had natural seawater pumped through it. This is a very different case.
There are a lot more destructive things that have happened from people releasing things - notably the introduction of caulerpa into California where it is causing problems (you can thank whomever did it for the ban on caulerpa in CA and I believe now the importation into Texas), african cichlids in many lakes (outcompeting local fish), Bettas in Florida, Lionfish in the Atlantic. And let us not forget "Free Willy" who was freed and is now dead.
Sorry this is a very sensitive point for me. I never recommend it for home hobbyists. :(

tthemadd1

I was kidding. But I understand your concern and excellent points...
sarcasm doesnt transfer well into type....

moraymike

Originally Posted by ophiura
One of the reasons I don't like to see this sort of eel for sale at some LFS

Oh man, I can't believe it. We actually agree on this one
:joy: