Green Spotted Puffer

hjm9329

So this is what I was thinking. I wanted to start a green spotted puffer tank. I have a 35 gallon hex right now. How many fish can I have in this tank? Can I use play sand? How much salt do I need? Is this a good fish choice? What types of things do I need to put in the tank for the fish? Is a normal cycling filter going to acceptable to use? Does the tank also need air bubbles or is a filter enough? What other types of equipment is a must? Things such as powerhead, skimmer, etc. I am new to this and I really need some help. Please let me know your input! Thanks!

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjm9329 http:///forum/thread/382219/green-spotted-puffer#post_3334160
So this is what I was thinking. I wanted to start a green spotted puffer tank. I have a 35 gallon hex right now. How many fish can I have in this tank? Can I use play sand? How much salt do I need? Is this a good fish choice? What types of things do I need to put in the tank for the fish? Is a normal cycling filter going to acceptable to use? Does the tank also need air bubbles or is a filter enough? What other types of equipment is a must? Things such as powerhead, skimmer, etc. I am new to this and I really need some help. Please let me know your input! Thanks!
Personally, I don't know if a 35G hex is the best place for a Green Spotted Puffer, nor do I think it's a wise first fish choice.
Depending on what fish you put in the tank depends on how many you could have in there.
I would not recommend play sand. It's a smaller tank, use live sand, you won't need that much of it.
You need live rock and live sand and the tank must cycle before any fish are added.
You can read boxes and buckets of salt and it will tell you how many gallons the salt will make at a specific reading. You want your salt level to be 1.019 - 1.025 at the tank to be about 79*F.
What do you mean by normal cycling filter?
Yes, you will probably also need a powerhead. I'd recommend a Koralia #2, but this depends on how strong of a filter you go with.
No air bubbles, air bubbles are bad.
A protein skimmer is always helpful, but if you stay on top of your water parameters (test often, don't overfeed, do proper water changes) it is not necessary either. I do recommend running one if you can, they do help.
Honestly, you need to read through the new hobbyist section and familiarize yourself with what this hobby entails before you go any further. Not trying to be rude, but you have a lot more research to do.
If it were me with this tank:
Filter: AquaClear 50 A-610 Hang on Back filter OR Penguin 200 Hang on back filter
Salt: One bucket Instant Ocean Salt
RO Unit, or at minimum Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter
5G CLEAN bucket (you can get them from Home Depot), you'll need this to mix your salt water in
Koralia 2 and Koralia 1 (the K1 is for the 5G bucket that you'll mix your water in, you need to keep the water aerated and moving for 24 hours before it goes in your tank)
Jager 150watt Submersible Heater
40lbs Live Sand (CaribSea is good)
40 or more pounds live rock (not necessary, but will every little bit helps with filtration)
API Test kits - you need to test: Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, High Range pH, KH (alkalinity), Calcium, Phosphate
Refractometer (tests salt levels)
Coralife Digital Thermometer
ChemiPure Elite (remove all the stuff in the filter and place this in there instead)
Some sort of lighting (although fish only tanks don't "need" lighting, it's always good to have your fish on some sort of lighting schedule.

dmanatee

Just to pop my head in here? Is it a baby that is still in a brackish tank or is it an adult that is already transphered to a full saltwater solution?

dsmccain

I'm going to assume they are babies, because I rarely see full grown adults, especially in the fish stores.
I will put in my advice, which is based on the experience of actually having a living and thriving green spotted puffer in my aquarium(I bought it from walmart).
First, they are indeed brackish water fish, mine lives in a full marine aquarium, and its the first one I have ever kept that has lived this long(I got into the fish hobby because of these fellas). This time I told myself I would do it the right way. They will need some level of SEA SALT, not the aquarium salt that is used for fish medicine in some cases.
If you are on a budget for this project at the start up, I wouldn't put too much priority on getting an expensive refractometer just yet, a very cheap one will be more than fine. The reason I say this, is that they are brackish water fish, which means they their lives in constantly fluctuating salt levels, which makes them very resistant in dealing with salt level changes.
Also, it sounds like this is your first aquarium involving some type of sea salt. I must let you know, when you lose water to evaporation, DO NOT replace it with more saltwater, replace it with fresh water, preferably filtered water from the big machines at the grocery store(more on that next). The salt does not evaporate with the water, which will make the salt level higher as the water evaporates.
Water: I recommend using the best quality water you have access to. Go to the grocery store, get one of those 5 gallon blue jugs, they work perfect. Keep it handy for water top offs, but the extremely filtered water is much better for them rather than tap water which has harmful chemicals(harmful to fish)
A 35 hex may not be the best choice, it limits your options, and in my opinion its a very akwardly shaped tank. If you are able to get a different tank, for starters, check out a 55 gallon aquarium(you can find many off the internet that people don't want, just inspect them thoroughly, or buy new if you'd like to start fresh) this is a very common tank, and i consider it large especially for a beginner.
If you were to have a 55 gallon as opposed to a 35 gallon, that would leave you with a bigger water volume, which ironically makes an aquarium easier to maintain. Because your little friend will produce waste through uneaten food, poop, all that nasty stuff, which in turn that will turn into a harmful chemical toxin. If you have a bigger tank, it will not have as much affect in your little ecosystem. I don't feel like explaining this part right now, too early, but just look for other forums about why bigger tanks are better, you will learn alot.
Lastly, this fish is going to want to eat ALL, THE, TIME. Don't let it fool you, I only feed mine two times a day, bloodworms, octopus, mysis shrimp, even flakes(on occasion, they make the tank dirty). These fish are messy eaters, but anything you put in the tank, make sure it eats it all, overfeeding is a real fast way to make your tank crash and make you lose interest in the hobby.
There is probably alot I missed, but I just typed whatever thing I could think of. Let me know if you have questions, and if you understand the following:
Do you understand how to cycle a tank, and why it is important? If you do, good, if not, I can sure help you explain the ins and outs of it.
Cheers,
Dan
ps: i posted a couple threads about my Green Spotted Puffer, take the time to check them out

darwin-puffer

Good morning, I have a Green Spotted Puffer named Darwin. I have had him for over two years now. He lives in Brackish water and doing great. His favorite food is earthworms and shrimp. I have had to trim his beak only once. He loves to play peek a boo and I can always tell if he is in a bad mood. His belly turns sort of black. He gets very upset when I clean his tank or move anything around. My husband told me he bought me a new tank for Christmas, 30 gallon. I am going to set it up the same as I did my 10 gallon. I put 2 gallons of freshwater and 1 gallon of salt water. I add one tablespoon of marine salt to a gallon of freshwater that is treated with Prime. Darwin plays with his ghost shrimp which have seemed to get use to the salt water, crazy but true. He waits until they are pregnant then eats them. He left Big mama alone for almost 5 months before he ate her to. I love having him and have thought about getting another one when I let my new tank cycle for about a week before I introduce him to it. What is your thought on adding another puffer to Darwin, he has ate every other fish that I have tried to put in his tank. I thought if I introduce them together maybe he won't eat it especially if it is his own kind. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Kim.