Green Water

topofsteel

I thought it was because there was a little algae on the plastic that supports the lights. But I cleaned it off when I did a water change yesterday and there is still a slight greenish color to the water. My levels have been fine until recently (high Nitrates), I'm taking measures to reduce them. Whats causing the water discoloration? Thanks.

bang guy

It could be Gelbstof!
If so you'll need to tear down your tank and ship everything to me for safe keeping!!
Actually, just use fresh GAC (Carbon) for 48 hours and it will remove the Gelbstof. Make sure tank water is forced through the carbon like a canister filter or something similar.

topofsteel

it's a 55 with (2) AquaClear 70's using a sponge and charcoal. I'm thinking the charcoal counts as a carbon filter, am I right? Thank you.

bang guy

Originally Posted by topofsteel
http:///forum/post/2891984
it's a 55 with (2) AquaClear 70's using a sponge and charcoal. I'm thinking the charcoal counts as a carbon filter, am I right? Thank you.

Yes, that counts. How long has the charcoal been in use? In my experience carbon only works for a couple of days and then stops working until it's replaced.