Guess what i was sold today! grrr!

microman2k

well i was sold a BLUE LINKIA STAR for my 29 gallon aquarium with roughly 50lbs of live rock, the site i ordered it from said it was a GREAT BEGINNTER CRITTER and that is was EXTREMELY HARDY!!!:mad: well after reading some on it, i found out that that is possibly not true! they sent to special instructions for acclimating it (i dripped it for 1-2 hours!) and now its just sittin on a rock, it was on the glass but not flat the tips of his arms were touching the glass but the rest of his body was not touching the side sort of like a cup shape, but when i went to feed the tank some shrimp i knocked him down by accident so i put him on a rock and he hasnt moved and its been almost and hour! is there ANYTHING I can do?!?!?!
and o yea i heard that when starfish go to the top of the tank they are lacking something, my marble and linkia were both at the top, is this true? my marble is still at the top but constantly moving as he should. :nervous:

neowind

Wow man I could feel the emotion in that post seriously. I would give it a little while and I am sure it will come through. Maybe you scared it. I have heard they are not hardy at all though :( They take a great established tank. I wish you the best hopefully it will be just fine.

microman2k

ok thanx i just get frustrated when something is sick or gonna die, i get so discouraged! i hate to see something suffer, and with ordering from that site i now know that the ONLY site i am going to order from is this one, but anywaz back to the starfish he is gone into a little hole and not come out, do you think he is fine?:nope:

j21kickster

well the acclimation should have been more than 2hours- they often die from transport shock- secondly your tank may not have the amount of live rock to feed it.- it wouldnt surprise me if it didnt make it- im sorry for your trouble but that is why you should read about something before you buy it , and not after

brooklyn johnny

I know the exact site you are talking about, and aside from problems with recommendations on their site they have many other problems not worth going into other than saying stay away.
Other recommendations include...
Moorish Idols "great for community tanks". (in reality there is arguably no other fish more unsuited to captive life)
Carnation corals that "may be kept in fluorescent tanks". (in reality, corals of this genus Dendronepthea have almost never survived longer than 12-18 months, with even a dedicated project at the Waikiki Aquarium with a high budget failing to keep them.
Flame scallops are listed as "very hardy" and "easy to keep healthy"... no comment:mad:
They have their fiji regal angels listed with care requirements copied ver batum from another popular site, and the picture is of a Red Sea regal angel, which is almost a seperate species due to the difference in vibrance of color!
Their coral pictures are stolen from other websites and rebranded, and I've personally been in touch with one of the owners who had his pictures taken and said they refuse to change them.
Needless to say, stay away from that vendor. I visited their retail location and it's smaller than most LFS, and it's obvious that much of their things are transhipped and not "in captivity for 4 weeks and eating well"
I'll stop there...

microman2k

wow! and i thought was begining to think it was just me! but they jipped me 3 times in ONE order, first they didnt give me what i ordered so i didnt get the free shipping, then when i called and said that the new adjusted order (WITH shipping) was STILL too much they acted like i was stupid until i made them tell me what i had ordered and in fact they upgraded my shrimp and starfish(go figure) WITHOUT telling me and acted as if i should have known that they had done it, and then on top of that even after all that they had STILL overcharged me and i should have gotten their free shipping deal!!! that site kills me! i should have known something was up, when just about everything on there was easy and hardy, but i guess i wanted to believe that the starfish i had wanted for such a long time would work i believed them, but they have gotten me convinced that this is the only site i will purchase from online, i think i am too scared to try anywhere else, i lost $150 on that site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

brooklyn johnny

This site and many others are much better, so don't be afraid to order. Some quick research will lead you to who has a good reputation for service, quality, and all the other important aspects of good business.

microman2k

so if anyone knows any GOOD REPUTABLE sites email them to me, i am gonna need some livestock until SWF.com gets back online....microman2k4@yahoo.com

nayr

if possible, please let me know the name of this site so i won't get in the same boat! thanks

brooklyn johnny

If any of the moderators give the green light I'll mention it. Are we able to do that here?
Needless to say by doing so it would help a lot of people out, and benefit SWF.com at the same time...
The good old win win situation...

microman2k

well i am gonna say it, b/c i couldnt think of anyone in the right mind that would want to buy from that place, and every post on here is NEGATIVE towards it and it IS helping a fellow reefer it is, (please refrain from mentioning other sites), and that is what it is a big CON

Good or bad...its a violation!

gregvabch

friend of mine bought some live rock from them, and we were less than impressed when he got it. not to mention they messed up his order, overcharged him, and botched up the delivery date that he got out of work to be there for.

smickied

Thanks for the heads up... I buy from SWF and am happy with their live stock..but sometimes I like a little varity in life.:D I was going to make an order from them I my reconcider now!

Thanks for the heads-up! I was considering ordering from them too, but now I won't. Some of their corals were listed as great beginner corals that seemed kind of odd to be on that list, and some of their lighting requirements didn't quite match up with my other information. Still, you get tempted. Thanks for saving me the potential headache!

microman2k

i know, they tempted me to get the blue linkia, but now i will never buy from them again, especially since my yellow angel died and i had not had it 24 hours yet, but they said to send it in and they will check it out and replace it for free and the shipping free too but i dont believe it, he didnt see like he knew what he was talking about, he didnt know the box charge of the store he was working at, but lesson learned NEVER buy from them!:nope: i think some of their *great beginer coral/critter* and *extremely hardy* is abunch of crap and i think they are crazy!

bigmac

Originally posted by Brooklyn Johnny
If any of the moderators give the green light I'll mention it. Are we able to do that here?

I don't think mentioning a site is taboo. Just no links....