Guess what i was sold today! grrr!

ophiura

Originally posted by essop3
bergamer... although blue linkia and orange are related orange are actually Fromia not Linkia. They are much better suited to aquarium life

The typical orange Linckia are not Fromia...and Fromia are definitely not better suited to aquarium life than Linckia! The orange may not be a species of Linckia, but it is a close relative. Same difference. But names aside, Linckia and Fromia and relatives are all difficult to keep in captivity in the average tank.
Fromia often includes stars with the common names "marble" and "black tip red reef star." IMO, Fromia, which may have a more specific diet than even a Linckia, are not particularly well suited for aquarium life at all, at least not in average systems.

E

essop3

my bad...
but the orange is easier to keep than blue aren't they?

ophiura

Its relative. They are relatively easier, but definitely not one that I recommend without proper research into its needs. They could probably do OK in a mature 55g reef, but I wouldn't push it as a sure thing. Still a marginal tank size, IMO.

reefer44

ophiura is deffinetely right (well she is the starfish expert :) ) the oranges are generally Linkia's (if they are just a solid color and don't have a pattern)......my experience with linkia's have not been to great.........what we generally try to do is keep their envorinment very stable.....also if you touch thema lot they will die...this is because of the oils on your hands.....starfish are very sensitive to SLIGHT water flux's.....
...also about the site i don't completely blaim them cause you should of checked more than one source when purchasing them........but like JOhn siad the Morish Idol thing isn't right....altho i know a few guys that keep schools of them (very impressive) and they are becoming easier to keep.....i wouldn't consiter them freindly or easy
Brad

reefer44

but about the Dendro's......"carnation" corals are being kept for longer times now because they exept cyclo-peeze and a little phyto......so soooooooon we will be able to keep these corals very healthy
Brad

reefer44

since he hasn't replied it is a VERY gorgous Red Sea Regal Angel..................reef safe exept when around zoos and sometimes polyps(mushrooms) and sometimes clams......it is very hard to take care of because it is hard to get eating......its not a fish you want to buy online....you want to see it eat frozen or flake food at the store........
Brad

brooklyn johnny

Thanks for jumping in Brad... hope all is well...
Brad knows this guy first hand, and is right about it being a tough fish. I found this exceptional specimen eating frozen foods out of the bag from Red Sea practically. Although not amongst the "unkeepables" like polyp feeding butterflies, it should be left to those with experience.
Here's another excellent pic my buddy took...