Guest's reaction to your tank?

bettym

We are getting our first SW tank on Tuesday.By the way I am so excited I can't wait!!!! So when people come over to your house to visit what are thier reaction's?I went to this couple's house once and they had a HUGE tank and I just watched thier tank mostly in aww***) .I just wounder if peeps stare at your tank's{beside's the proud onwer's}

dr. evil

yes its great to see peoples reaction when they see your tank. and all i have is a very modest 75gal. tank too me its not at all impressive but when people see it for the first time thier like WOW! look at that tank its HUGE! that is so cool. and i just laugh inside and look at them and then my tank and im like really? but i do love it when friends with small children come over and the kids just stare at it and ask me all kinds of questions i gat a kick out of teaching them about the fish or crabs or whatever its cool.

lovethesea

they generally sit in the chair and thats the last we see of them for awhile.

Most are struck by the relationship between our clown and anemone :joy:

socal57che

When most people find out that our tank is saltwater they ask "Isn't it hard to take care of?"
There are a lot of "what is this?" and "what is that?" and "what do they eat?" kind of questions followed by "wow."

bettym

I just LOVE all of these replie's.I AM SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait until we get everything the way we want it[I know it will take some time
}I can't wait until that first person walk's in to see what thier reaction will be.

oceana

all responces i get are a large wow factor. and i love when people tell me i should charge addmission lol. heck i even invite the post man in to see our tanks. i put alot of cash and time into the syst6ems and my dog is sick of me showing it to him lol. now that i am putting in the 270 this weekend i am expecting even better reactions. my wife says i enjoy the showing off part more then i do the tank itself, sometimes i think she might be right

oceana

Originally Posted by My Way
What are these guests you speak of?

people. ya know family friends neighborhood pals. dont ya have get togethers at your house?

bettym

Oceana=Make sure you post some pic's of that 270.Do you have any pic's yet?I love that you bring in the maialman...
.I just can't wait......I bet I will be sleep deprived for a while after we get our tank.

dr. evil

Thats awesome Betty but just remember this PLEASE remember this. The most important thing you can do in this hobby when you get started is have patience take your time,study some books,do research on equipment and species before you buy them trust me these things will save you from making very costly mistakes believe me i know first hand. But remember "patience grasshopper" patience is the key. BTW welcome to the hobby. :happyfish

hot883

Betty, my house was built in 1910. It was originally the only doctor's house in town that happen to be a surgeon. We are remodling it room by room and it's awesome to see people's reaction when they walk in. The tank use to be in the living room (55gal.) but now it's in the office. As soon as they enter the house they oogle and awe at the trim and crown molding etc. until their gaze goes towards the office and them ZOOOM!! off they go into that room. I have a bench set up infront of the tank so they can sit. And sit they do for hours at a time. Ha!
Welcome to the hobby and good luck.

S

sinner's girl

most could care less, it's funny, went my sw was in the living room and someone was coming over I'd make sure the tank was clean and the glass was clean and everything was good, didn't care about the rest of the place, and very few people cared.
A few weeks ago, step-father-in-law was helping sinner put a desk in his office, my tank is/was a mess since I'm removing the cc, all the lr was in one big pile in the center of the tank, salt creep was all other the back, I had hermit and snail shell (empty) on the top of the glass, the glass hadn't been cleaned, ect. I said I was sorry for the mess (also had water and salt out for a water change) and he said it looked fine. I had to laugh.
I understand, nonfish people don't get it.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by My Way
What are these guests you speak of?
:hilarious
That was a great response!
Most people who come over to my house love it. They immediately begin asking me about my batfish, and then my fuzzy lionfish swims to the glass and everyone asks about her because she is such a friendly fish. Having a 210, and then a few other tanks sitting next to that, people are usually amazed how large it is. I have two chairs that sit right in front of the tank so that people can sit down while they are viewing the tank.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
do you have a nemo? what about a dori? I HATE THAT lol
lol I have a percula and some blue damsel's (along with other's) The PARENT'S say "ooh look, Nemo and Dori" the kids disagree and say the damsel's are NOT Dori! I love to hear parents argue with the children that the damsel's are Dori!!!! I don't say anything unless they ask! (my own sick amusement I guesse!)

laddy

LOL.....all great things.....my wife and I would normally get 3-4 trick or treaters to the door every year at Halloween, until last year when I started a 55 reef at the back of the hallway in view of the front door. When the first two kids knocked on the door with their parents behind them they saw the tank and "had to see it". So all came in and checked out the 55g and the 10g. They were there for about twenty minutes staring into the tanks. It was pretty neat to see the kids faces as the ocellaris were swimming around, I think they were as interseted in the kids as they were in them. I guess they spread the word because this year we got repeat business and then some, most wanting to see the tank.........I was going to either turn out the lights, or start handing out buillon cubes, as the snickers were getting low

laddy

One more thing......the expression, or reaction, I get the most is like I single handidly split the atom, or scaled Mt Everest....."Wow, is it hard?" Like I said before, all good things.

ledzep fan

Ok I will tell you guys a funny story. One time my mom and dad were having a party with a whole bunch of friends. So the guests came, looked around at our reef tank and the house. Then when the guests headed for my tank they all looked in amazement. So I told them a little bit about my setup and what I had in there. When I said I have a eel they all went crazy asking questions. They all thought that it was huge and that they wanted to see it. When the eel came out he was only about six inches long. They all laughed and told me that they thought it would be bigger. I cracked up about it that night.
I'm just so proud of this hobby!! :cheer:
~ The Zep