Gulf-view & Tampabay Live Rock

dinhouse

I am soon switching from my 55 to my new 120 and I am thinking of adding some more live rock. I would like to see some actual picture of the stuff, not just the pics from the site that they want you to see! So if anyone has some pics of the rock that they took themselves please post them.
Thank you

azonic

I don't know about the ones you specified....but I know I just paid for 80 pounds of Walt Smith premium fiji at my LFS for my new 110 reef....the stuff is simply amazing...such a diversity of algaes and critters on it.
I'd recommend it to anyone.

fshhub

actually, it is kinda borderline. but the ADDRESS was not mentioned.
both of youa re correct about the question.
It is considered a type
and also a supplier. But the site is not mentioned, not the address.
another mod may see it the other way and it could still get deleted depending on how it is interpreted.
or if it would get out of hand.
supposedly the rock in question is real nice

Beware of the hitchhikers that come along with the uncured aquacultured liverock. Many of them are cool and desireable freebies that make a great addition to your system but mantis like to sneak into your tank under cover of absolutley gorgeous liverock too. Course...I sorta like mantis shrimp and keep the ones I find. :)

marinerock

Hey Phoenix...
I got the Premium Fiji LR and it is gorgeous...
its for my sons new reef tank that we just started...
all the pieces were big, no rubble, and so far
we have not found a mantis shrimp yet...LOL
How would one go about knowing if one is actually
in the rock ? Also, since its a brand new tank, and the
rock is basically cured, we placed it directly into the
tank...
Regards...
Marinerock

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think Tampa Bay sells strictly FLA rock, right? Thus, you would be getting a very dense, heavy rock. I suppose it would be dependent upon what type of setup you wanted to make, but that would need to be taken into consideration. All that rock is aquacultured. They take dug up land rocks in the Fla Keys , and aquaculture it in the ocean. The land in the Keys is bascially an ancient dead reef. I know! Its a curse for gardeners!

agro

I got some of the gulf view coraline. It came with a lot of stuff. Some good, some bad. So far the only bad guys were a stone crab, a cirolanid (sp?) isopod, and a bunch of aiptasia. Here's a pic to give you an idea. Also, if you search for hitch hiker and my name you should find more pics.
That red sea hare came with the rock. Sure is interesting to watch it swim around the tank by flapping the folds on its back :)

dinhouse

"ARGO" that is some amazing looking rock! Com on there has got to be more people out there that have the rock in thier tank!

fshhub

cboyfan, marshall is great rock,a dn that is an awesome price
marinerock, tampa adn gulfview is from the gulf of mexico, Fla. Fiji is from the pacific. NOT the same thing. Tampa is Aquacultured, meaning they take and grow live rock, by putting rock into the ocean and letting it grow for a while then, harvest or remove it for sale. Walt smith is only a boxer adn if the label said fla, it prob came from a retailer in FL, before it came to you.
As for mantis, only time will tell. The odds of getting one with fiji is less than tampa or gulf view, but there is still a chance.
SWF does have nice rocka nd great prices too.

stacyt

I have about 130 lbs. of the gulf. The nice thing is it had really good coraline growth, and very little die off. Almost everyone I know that gets the gulf ends up with aptasia.
Lately though I've been getting Fiji, and after a little time in the tank, it all looks about the same. The Fiji just has more die off normally.

marinerock

Hey Fshhub...
Maybe I didnt explain it clearly...I know that Fiji rock is
different from the others....LOL
What I meant was....that I ordered LR from SWF.COM
and the cardboard box that it came in had an
advertisement that said.... ww.ws####.### on the
outside of the box but the FedEx sticker was from SWF.COM
(in Florida)... it came directly from SWF.com....
so I just thought that WS and SWF.com were one in the same...
but obviously they are not....
Regards....
Marinerock

beth

Administrator
Staff member
WS sells wholesale, and SWF.com has to get its rock from somewhere, so it could well be that some of thier rock comes from WS. I don't really know, though.

marinerock

Hey Beth....
Thats exactly what I figured....
WS sells wholesale only and SWF.com buys
the rock from them....or, WS just advertises on
SWF shipping boxes...
either way....SWF.com has excellent quality rock and
I would definitely buy from them again...
VERY satisfied with my LR from here....
nice big pieces...9 in total...excellent...
Regards...
Marinerock