Guns and Texas, peas and carrots...

Does pretty much everyone in Texas have a gun (or five)? I'm asking this honestly. The only people I know from Texas are my sister's old roommate, who is the marketing director for the Dallas Stars NHL team (she has a total of nine guns in their home), and a friend who moved to Austin to work for some startup, and he "only" has four guns in his apartment.
Of all my friends here in Ohio, I would say MAYBE a third have a single gun, and maybe 1 out of 20 have multiple firearms in their homes. So is it a Texas thing, or what?

2quills

Pretty much. There is no limit to the amount of guns we can purchase at any given point in time down here if you've got the cash.
Not everyone that I know has one but the ones who do usually have several.

zman1

There is another famous Texan:
David Koresh's arsenal coming into focus. A thick computer printout in federal court in Waco, Texas, reveals that the Ranch Apocalypse stockpile contained 59 handguns, 12 shotguns, 94 rifles and 45 machine guns; 1.8 million rounds of ammunition; more than a dozen silencers; a variety of hand grenade parts, and a hefty supply of other weapons components. Among the inventory were two powerful .50-caliber Barrett rifles capable of hitting targets more than a mile away and more than three dozen assault-style rifles such as AK-47s and AR-15s.
How could Koresh assemble such an arsenal? The answer: Pretty easily. For the better part of two years, Koresh avoided much attention and deftly exploited gun laws to assemble his arms cache, largely through gun shows and parcel delivery companies. Agents from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms believe the Branch Davidians spent at least $199,715 on weapons, ammo and related equipment between October 1991 and February 1993. Law-enforcement sources have identified a total of 43 suppliers in 19 states who dealt with Koresh, and virtually all the transactions were entirely legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1 http:///t/394493/guns-and-texas-peas-and-carrots#post_3511219
There is another famous Texan:
David Koresh's arsenal coming into focus. A thick computer printout in federal court in Waco, Texas, reveals that the Ranch Apocalypse stockpile contained 59 handguns, 12 shotguns, 94 rifles and 45 machine guns; 1.8 million rounds of ammunition; more than a dozen silencers; a variety of hand grenade parts, and a hefty supply of other weapons components. Among the inventory were two powerful .50-caliber Barrett rifles capable of hitting targets more than a mile away and more than three dozen assault-style rifles such as AK-47s and AR-15s.
How could Koresh assemble such an arsenal? The answer: Pretty easily. For the better part of two years, Koresh avoided much attention and deftly exploited gun laws to assemble his arms cache, largely through gun shows and parcel delivery companies. Agents from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms believe the Branch Davidians spent at least $199,715 on weapons, ammo and related equipment between October 1991 and February 1993. Law-enforcement sources have identified a total of 43 suppliers in 19 states who dealt with Koresh, and virtually all the transactions were entirely legal.
God Bless America!

darthtang aw

AThere is another famous Texan:
Your point is.......

reefraff

At one time you could sit in my brother's living room and see 36 guns in plain view. He had/has a lot more, those were just the ones he displayed. It's called collecting.

reefraff

LOL! He does a little of that too. Back when they passed the first ineffective "assault weapons" ban he bought 4 SKS back when you could get a gun still packed in cosmoline with a thousand round tin of ammo for 100 bux at gunshows. He took 3 and placed them and the ammo in PVC pipe tubes and buried them on his land.

darthtang aw

Why is it Texas this and Texas that? Texas has nothing on New Mexico when it comes to gun ownership.
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/feds-seized-nearly-1500-guns-in-raid

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/394493/guns-and-texas-peas-and-carrots#post_3511283
Why is it Texas this and Texas that?
Because, when you've got a good thing going then everybody wants to hate on you. And when you're best source of information to draw from about a place just happens to be your sisters roomate and some dude that you know who moved to Austin, well then I guess we're all just a bunch of gun slinging cowboys and cult leaders down here. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/394493/guns-and-texas-peas-and-carrots#post_3511285
Because, when you've got a good thing going then everybody wants to hate on you. And when you're best source of information to draw from about a place just happens to be your sisters roomate and some dude that you know who moved to Austin, well then I guess we're all just a bunch of gun slinging cowboys and cult leaders down here. :p
Well I could have said "because Texas has been in the news recently when one guy shot at another guy, who both had legally owned firearms at a college; or the former sniper in Texas who was killed when another legally own gun ended his life a few days ago". So I thought I would go with the roommate and friend instead

2quills

Well I could have said "because Texas has been in the news recently when one guy shot at another guy, who both had legally owned firearms at a college; or the former sniper in Texas who was killed when another legally own gun ended his life a few days ago".  So I thought I would go with the roommate and friend instead :evil:
Surely Texas is not the only place where someone was recently killed with a legaly purchased weapon.
The only people I know who keep just one gun typically do so for one reason, self defense.
Actual hunters and enthusiasts are almost garanteed to have more than 2-3. Texas is a large hunting state, therefore there are huge numbers of folks with multiple guns. And virtually no limit as to how many you can own.

stdreb27

In my circle of friends, I know of 2 or 3 that don't own something. the church I used to go to, the only guy not carrying something was the pastor. There are probably 15-20 guys there any given sunday.
The best part is, that Texas passed a law last session. that Banned employers from Having policies that ban guns in parking lots for the most part.
Hell, the last time I went through an immigration checkpoint, I had 3 shotguns (not all mine) on my front seat, an AK and and AR in the back. and about 1000 casings. They just asked Merican citizen, and if I had fun.
One of my friends from high school, he was the guy who's parents weren't around, so he built himself a dirt bike and drove himself to school. Anyway, he's a firefighter now. Married, kids etc.
He came home from work with a buddy to pick something up. Outside of his normal schedule. There was as guy helping himself to the TV. The guy with a shotgun, put them in a corner. And finished helping himself to the TV. Before leaving, the guy gave them the distinct impression that if he came back in, it would be to kill the 2 guys inside. Once the guy and the TV and the shotgun left, his buddy called the police, while my friend went and grabbed his gun. He sat in a position covering the door. And waited. The robber, returned gun in hand. And my friend dispatched the would be assailant. He's alive today, because he had a gun, and used it, in an appropriate manner.

mantisman51

I don't know how they figure it, but the top 3 gun owning states are Alaska, Arizona and Idaho. I don't remember the exact number, but Texas was something like 8th or 9th, if I recall correctly. But if you google it, there are dozens of lists and they all have different percentages for the different states. But, those are the top 3 according to our local TV station a few weeks back. Other than a couple felons, every single person I know here has at least a couple guns. On a side note, the local grocery store chain, Food City, has put up "no guns allowed" signs because guns made their Mexican customers uncomfortable(while they're spending American food stamps, at that). Nice. We have to change our language, have the Messiah breach the Constitution and now be made less safe to accommodate these grifters.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///t/394493/guns-and-texas-peas-and-carrots#post_3512572
I don't know how they figure it, but the top 3 gun owning states are Alaska, Arizona and Idaho. I don't remember the exact number, but Texas was something like 8th or 9th, if I recall correctly. But if you google it, there are dozens of lists and they all have different percentages for the different states. But, those are the top 3 according to our local TV station a few weeks back. Other than a couple felons, every single person I know here has at least a couple guns. On a side note, the local grocery store chain, Food City, has put up "no guns allowed" signs because guns made their Mexican customers uncomfortable(while they're spending American food stamps, at that). Nice. We have to change our language, have the Messiah breach the Constitution and now be made less safe to accommodate these grifters.
they're probably running the stats on the background checks.

reefraff

As far as raw numbers I'd bet Texas has the most guns. Per capita Wyoming, Montana, Alaska and Idaho are going to be near the top because there is so much hunting there and not a lot of people.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///t/394493/guns-and-texas-peas-and-carrots#post_3512572
You should go to the manager of the grocery store and tell them Mexicans scare you and see if they'll ban them LOL!