hair algae i give up you win

505titan

i been fighting this problem for 3 months or so what should i do all my levels are good i feed my fish 1 time a day now. should i just go buy some thing to kill it what do you all think i should do thanks

teresaq

What size tank do you have. I had this same problem. I used a new clean scrub brush. I pulled and picked and scrubbed the rock a section at a time in the tank. Then I added a phosband reactor. I the last week, most of the algea is gone.
T

katsafados

If you have no corals, turn your lights out, buy a green emerald crab and test for phosphates and put phosphate filtermedia inside your filter.
Worked for me no more algae at all!

meowzer

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3075574
if any of the above doesnt work, then get a dolabella sea hare.
LOL...as soon as I saw the title, I knew you were going to say that....

If they ever come back in stock I plan on getting one...

cranberry

If you don't keep corals that that require a lot of light, downsizing your lights can help it from reoccuring if you get rid of it using one of the suggestions above.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Michael Holden
http:///forum/post/3075883
I bought two Sea Hares from SWF and they are great. They also knock less stuff off of my reef than the mexican turbos!

HOW the heck did you get 2 seahares...they have been out of stock

MANNNNN

505titan

the guy at ***** is geting me a seahare it should be comeing in a week or so. are thay hard to take care of and do you need good lights

nycbob

the only sea hare i know (from personal experience) that eats hair algae is the dolabella. most sea hares arent difficult to keep. no need to change ur light since they r not photosynthetic. jusy take time acclimating the sea hare.

life~reefer

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3079047
the only sea hare i know (from personal experience) that eats hair algae is the dolabella. most sea hares arent difficult to keep. no need to change ur light since they r not photosynthetic. jusy take time acclimating the sea hare.
Does yours take algae sheets?

pete159

get a few giant turbo snails, they will eat it and then live off the live rock.
I also added a canister filter for extra filtration and put eheim pro substrate to it as well as kent denitrate. I took out the bio balls and ceramic rings.
i've never had algae since

peglet

I'm no expert, but perhaps even with one feeding per day you are still overloading your tank. I say this because I bought a radiant wrasse from a local lfs and he told me he was high energy and I should feed the tank several times a day with very small amounts of food. I did this for about three weeks and one morning I go up and lo and behold I had red cyano and a sheet of green algae on two different rocks. I cleaned the gravel and the rock but to no avail. It was back by the next day. So I went to my old regiment of feeding every other day(lightly). After about two weeks and several water changes the algae is gone and so is the cyano. I also have a friend in town who had hair algae and she wanted to know why I didn't. I told her I fed my reef lightly and NOT every day. She called me about a month or so later and told me she took my advice and all the hair algae disappeared in her tank. I don't know if this is the solution, I only know that it works for me. I would love to feed my fish every day but I seem to have problems when I do. Hope this helps.