hair algae ?

Can water temp cause hair algae to grow? Tank temp at 83. Just now thought of that I have been batteling this for months now. Just turned it down to 79.

posiden

Originally Posted by waterdogjenn
http:///forum/post/3171721
thanks hope that does the trick.
While IMO 83 is a tad high, I was getting at the fact that more things play a role in algae growing in your tank. I wouldnt count on the fact of temp being the reason you are having an algae issue. Good luck with it.

nycbob

temp isnt the reason hair algae is growing in ur tank. there r other reasons, such as phosphate and overfeeding.

OK heres the low down on my tank 80gl FOWLR tank been running for 1 yr. I have PC lighting 2 powerheads in tank overflo to a 20gl refug w/ skimmer live rock and cheato. I have 1 hawk fish 2 turbo snails 15 blue leg crabs. I have done weekly water changes (20%) I have been running phos guars for 2mo because phos was really high. Tried shuting lights off for 2 wks. HA still there
. it has slowed down now that phosphates are getting lower. PC lights are brand new. I run them 7 hrs a day. I) feed my 1 fish every 2 days about 5 pellets and he eats them all (piggie). I have had the LFS test my water the only thing wrong was the phosphates. PH 8.2,amonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrate 0, salinity 1.025.

meowzer

Get rid of the pellets.....feed frozen mysis, marine cuisine, mega marine...anything but pellets..LOL

posiden

Phosphates are fueling the fire then, not the temp. Maybe nitrates that cann't be read by a test kit right now due to the algae in the tank. How is the cheato growing? The HA is going to out compete the cheato for the nutrients. Keep an eye on it. As the cheato dies it will release nutrients back into the water feeding the HA.

sepulatian

Get a Cowrie... They do wonders. I had a hair algae issue too, years after my tank was set up. Get just one Tiger Cowrie, it will be gone.
BTW, don't mess with your temp. Stability is key.

flower

Algae is normal, hair algae is usually caused by bad water, bad lights, PO4 or overfeeding..All or take your pick.
Mostly if you see it, get a paper towel, and get it by pinching it in the napkin and get it out of there (otherwise you spred it), or get a cowrie to eat it. I have found that when it comes to critters, clean it up as best you can to give them a head start, hair algae grows faster than they can eat it. If they have a head start they can keep it at unnoticeable levels.
..Warm temps make optimal growth for everything tropical, from algae to fish. Lots of hobbyists turn down the heat to slow things like algae blooms down. 78 is good..76 is too low.